Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators TI-89 Differentiation

Tags:
  1. Aug 17, 2006 #1
    1. After I launch the "Home" program and enter

d(x^2,x)

The calculator spits out -52.4916, a numerical solution. What I want is the algebraic derivative 2x - how do I get to the algebraic derivative?

2. When I enter sin(60), it gives me -0.304811 as an output. Why does the Ti-89 give a negative result, while the Ti-83 provides me with a positive one?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum. The forum search didn't spit out anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Make sure you don't have x defined as some constant. If you just enter 'x,' what does it return?

2. Make sure the calculator is set for degrees, not radians.

- Warren

4. Aug 17, 2006 #3
    Thank you for your feedback, Warren. You are right, I associated a number with x. How can I make it a variable again?

5. Aug 17, 2006 #4
    I think there's a menu option, I think second then f1, or maybe f5 will give you the option to clear a-z or maybe it's under the var-link think which would be second then "-". The batteries in my 89 are dead so I can't check which one it is, but I'm pretty sure it's one of those.

6. Aug 21, 2006 #5
    I have my TI-89 right here, so I'll look. Yep, go to VAR-LINK and scroll down until you see stored items and you should see "x" there. Delete it and you're good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?