Solving TI-89 Exact/Approx Homework Problem

• Calculators
  • Thread starter muffintop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-89
In summary, to solve exact/approx homework problems on a TI-89 calculator, you can use the "solve" function, "exact" and "approx" commands, and "solve(" and "solve(ESolver)" commands. The "exact" solution will give a solution with variables and fractions, while the "approx" solution will give a numerical value. The TI-89 calculator can also solve systems of equations using the "solve(" function and check answers using the "verify(" function. It also has a built-in calculus menu for solving derivatives, integrals, and differential equations, as well as graphing and finding zeros, maximums, and minimums of a function.
muffintop

Homework Statement

Recently got a ti-89 and when I use it to derive for example d(x^2+4x-10, x)
I get a decimal, 5.27 instead of getting 2x+4.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried changing the mode to exact, approx, and auto. All give the same answer.
I tried pressing the diamond button before ENTER, only in the exact mode it gave me a fraction.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Press 2nd, F1 (to get to F6), then "Clear a-z".

Apparently, you have the value of .635 stored as x. :tongue2:

Yay 2x+4!
Haha thanks.

1. How can I solve exact/approx homework problems on my TI-89 calculator?

To solve exact/approx homework problems on your TI-89 calculator, you will need to use the built-in functions and commands specific to the calculator. These include the "solve" function, the "exact" and "approx" commands, and the "solve(" and "solve(ESolver)" commands.

2. What is the difference between "exact" and "approx" solutions on the TI-89 calculator?

The "exact" solution on the TI-89 calculator will give you a solution in exact terms, meaning it will include variables and fractions. The "approx" solution will give you an approximate numerical value of the solution.

3. Can I solve systems of equations using the TI-89 calculator?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a built-in function specifically for solving systems of equations. You can use the "solve(" function and input the equations and variables to find a solution.

4. Is there a way to check my answer on the TI-89 calculator?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a built-in function called "verify(" which allows you to check your answer by inputting the equation and the solution. It will then tell you if the solution is correct or not.

5. Can I use the TI-89 calculator to solve calculus problems?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator has a built-in calculus menu which includes functions for solving derivatives, integrals, and differential equations. It can also graph functions and find the zeros, maximums, and minimums of a function.