Is my TI-89 calculator correctly expanding partial fractions?

In summary, "TI-89 Partial Fractions" is a feature on the TI-89 graphing calculator that simplifies algebraic expressions containing fractions. To access it, press "F2," select the "Algebra" menu, then choose "Partial Fractions." This feature is beneficial for solving equations and graphing functions efficiently. It can handle all types of fractions, including those with variables and exponents, but it may have limitations with complex or irrational numbers. Double-checking the results is recommended.
mdb
I am trying to use partial fractions to expand (3200x+16)/(x+400)^2 on the ti-89 calculator but I keep getting .010075 as the answer when I use the expand function! What am I doing wrong here?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Clear the variables; if you have stored x as a constant (given it a value) then you will get a numerical result.

Ok this is embarrassing but it worked! Thanks alot.

What is "TI-89 Partial Fractions"?

"TI-89 Partial Fractions" is a mathematical feature on the TI-89 graphing calculator that allows you to simplify algebraic expressions containing fractions into smaller, more manageable parts.

How do I access the "TI-89 Partial Fractions" feature?

To access the "TI-89 Partial Fractions" feature, follow these steps:

1. Press the "F2" button.
  2. Select the "Algebra" menu.
  3. Select "Algebraic Manipulation."
  4. Select "Partial Fractions."

What is the purpose of using "TI-89 Partial Fractions"?

The purpose of using "TI-89 Partial Fractions" is to simplify complicated algebraic expressions containing fractions into smaller, more manageable parts. This can make solving equations and graphing functions easier and more efficient.

Can "TI-89 Partial Fractions" be used for all types of fractions?

Yes, "TI-89 Partial Fractions" can be used for all types of fractions, including proper fractions, improper fractions, and mixed numbers. It can also handle fractions with variables and exponents.

Are there any limitations to using "TI-89 Partial Fractions"?

While "TI-89 Partial Fractions" is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to simplify all types of fractions, especially those with complex or irrational numbers. It is also important to double-check the results and make sure they are accurate.