Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ): Learn How to Input Expression & Variable

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to fine-tune a function on the TI 89 Titanium calculator to plug in an inputted variable θ into an expression r(θ) and get a numerical result. The issue is that the calculator interprets the variable as a multiplication instead of plugging it into the expression. The solution is to create a function that takes two inputs: the function and the input value, and evaluates the function with the input value. This function should be able to handle arithmetic operations and trigonometric functions.
clandarkfire
Hi, I'm trying to fine-tune a function I wrote for the TI 89 Titanium. Basically, for part of my function, I need it to plug in θ (an inputted variable/argument) into an expression r(θ) - also a an inputted variable/argument - and yield a numerical result.

In other words, the input format is function(expression,θ). If I were to type in function(cos(θ), π/3), I want it to return 1/2.

The problem I'm encountering is that I can't make it treat a variable as an expression. I tried simply writing r(θ), hoping that it would yield the result that occurs when the number θ is put into the expression r, but then it interprets it as r*θ.

So, how can I make it plug θ into the expression?
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
This will take a fair amount of code. In a nutshell, you need a function that takes two inputs: a function and an input to that function.

Your function will need to have logic to determine what the user's input function is, and then evaluate that function with the input value.

Your function should be able to accept input functions to do the arithmetic operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide), as well as the trig functions that you want it to work with, plus whatever functions you think you need.

What is "Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)"?

"Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)" refers to a specific function on the TI-89 calculator that allows users to input expressions and variables in order to solve equations and perform calculations.

How do I input an expression and variable using "Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)"?

To input an expression and variable, simply press the "Solve" button on your TI-89 calculator. This will open up a prompt where you can enter your expression and variable using the appropriate syntax.

What is the purpose of using "Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)"?

The purpose of using "Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)" is to make solving equations and performing calculations easier and more efficient. It allows users to input complex expressions and variables and quickly get accurate results.

Can I use "Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)" for any type of equation or calculation?

Yes, you can use "Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)" for a wide range of equations and calculations. However, it is important to understand the correct syntax and limitations of the function in order to get accurate results.

Is there a limit to the length or complexity of the expressions and variables I can input using "Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)"?

Yes, there are limitations to the length and complexity of expressions and variables that can be input using "Solve TI 89 Programming r(θ)". It is best to refer to the user manual or consult with a calculator expert for specific guidelines and tips on using this function.