1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators TI-89 quick question

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    I had a problem doing derivatives on my TI-89 and found the solution to my problem on this forum. I had x set to a constant instead of a variable. I'm just curious how x was set to this constant in the first place. I've never (that I know of) set it to anything. Just out of curiosity, what operations on the calculator would you want x to equal a constant and how is it done?

(edit: how is x set to a constant not how to do an operation with it)

Thanks,
    Milo

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    Using the STO (store) button at the bottom left, the syntax is "constant STO variable." This assigns a value to any variable you choose. That would explain how your derivative of x was zero. Check all your variables by selecting VAR-LINK (2nd + minus sign). Under the MAIN directory, you will see x is stored. Highlight this and remove it by pressing the left arrow (backspace) button and choose "yes."

I never store values into variables for this very reason. When I need to substitute a value for a variable in a complex expression, I use the | symbol to temporarily use a value for a certain variable. For example: 6x^2+7x+3|x=2 would return this expression as if x were '2.'

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3
    Ah, great! I've never taken the time to really go over everything this calculator can do. I just figure things out as I need them. I wish I would have known about the "as if" thing a long time ago, could save some time. Although now that I think of it, using Y= and looking at the table seems easier. I love this calculator! Thanks for the help!

BTW, I'm a pilot too. Single engine land! Thanks again

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?