Integrating with Constant Variables: TI-89 Symbolic Integration

In summary, TI-89 Symbolic Integration is a feature on the TI-89 graphing calculator that allows users to find antiderivatives and evaluate definite integrals symbolically. To use it, the user must enter the function to be integrated and specify the variable of integration. However, TI-89 Symbolic Integration can only solve integrals with closed-form solutions and may not be able to simplify the antiderivative or handle complex or non-elementary functions. While it is generally accurate, it is recommended to double-check results manually due to potential rounding errors or limitations in the calculator's capabilities.
cscott
How can I integrate an expression with constant variables like needed when solving [itex]m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg[/itex] but assuming I don't know its value?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Just type any constants in as letters. (Make sure you don't have any values stored to those letters first)

I don't think it's working... [itex]\int kx \cdot dx[/itex] gave [itex]kx \cdot x[/itex]

Make sure you type in k*x instead of just kx. It thinks that "kx" is one variable if you don't.

Ohh, thanks!

1. What is TI-89 Symbolic Integration?

TI-89 Symbolic Integration is a feature on the TI-89 graphing calculator that allows users to find antiderivatives and evaluate definite integrals symbolically, without numerical approximations.

2. How do I use TI-89 Symbolic Integration?

To use TI-89 Symbolic Integration, enter the function you want to integrate into the calculator, then press the "integrate" button and specify the variable of integration. The calculator will then show the antiderivative of the function.

3. Can TI-89 Symbolic Integration solve all types of integrals?

No, TI-89 Symbolic Integration can only solve integrals that have a closed-form solution. It cannot solve integrals that require advanced techniques such as trigonometric substitutions or integration by parts.

4. What are the limitations of TI-89 Symbolic Integration?

TI-89 Symbolic Integration may not be able to find the most simplified form of the antiderivative, and it may also struggle with more complex or non-elementary functions. It is always recommended to double-check the results manually.

5. Is TI-89 Symbolic Integration accurate?

Yes, TI-89 Symbolic Integration is accurate. However, as with any calculator, there may be rounding errors or limitations in the calculator's capabilities that could affect the accuracy of the results. It is always best to verify the results manually.