Decomposing Units on the TI-89 Titanium Calculator

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking if there is a way to convert watts into units of measurement like kilograms, meters, and seconds on their calculator. They also mention emailing the company for more information and suggest looking for programs online to possibly program the calculator for unit conversions. Another person suggests using the unit conversion button on the calculator but the original person has already tried it. It is then mentioned that the calculator does not have a built-in way to decompose or expand units.
lukas86
Hopefully I can throw this question in this section, sorry if it should go elsewhere. Seeing as I am studying in engineering, I thought others may have the same calculator and be helpful.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way on this calculator to show say 1*_W (unit of watts) in terms of kg*m^2/(s^3). I know how to convert say 1km to 1mile and all that sort of thing. I just want to know if it was possible to show the units of measurement that make up watts or joules or Newtons and things like that. Probably not, but I thought I would ask anyways. Thanks in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
lukas86 said:
Hopefully I can throw this question in this section, sorry if it should go elsewhere. Seeing as I am studying in engineering, I thought others may have the same calculator and be helpful.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way on this calculator to show say 1*_W (unit of watts) in terms of kg*m^2/(s^3). I know how to convert say 1km to 1mile and all that sort of thing. I just want to know if it was possible to show the units of measurement that make up watts or joules or Newtons and things like that. Probably not, but I thought I would ask anyways. Thanks in advance.

I don't believe so. Perhaps the owners manual would have some more information. If you don't have one, I'm sure they are available online.

CS

I have looked in there, but it is pretty vague. I emailed the company at the start of the week, but they seem to be taking their time responding. I am not extremely worried, I was just curious and it would be useful sometimes.

Does calculator have a USB port to hook up to your computer? If it does then you can possibly find a program on the http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...sult&cd=1&q=programs+for+calculators&spell=1" and if their isn't a program on the internet then you can program you caculator to convert units the programing on my TI-84 pulse silver edition is simple and you can probally program a basic unit conversion program yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does yes, I'll look into that. Thanks.

Have you tried the unit conversions? There's a little unit button on there, but it's a little difficult to figure it out. Here's a little tutorial batesville.k12.in.us/Physics/CalcNet/Calculator/ti_89/units_conversion.htm

Ya I have already tried that, thanks though.

I don't think there is any built-in way to decompose or expand units. It will simplify/combine units, but not the reverse.

What is the TI-89 Titanium Calculator?

The TI-89 Titanium Calculator is a graphing calculator developed by Texas Instruments. It is designed for advanced mathematical and scientific calculations.

What are the main features of the TI-89 Titanium Calculator?

The TI-89 Titanium Calculator has a large display screen, a QWERTY keyboard, and can perform a wide range of mathematical functions, including graphing, calculus, and matrix operations. It also has built-in apps and allows for user-defined programs.

How is the TI-89 Titanium Calculator different from other graphing calculators?

The TI-89 Titanium Calculator is considered one of the most powerful graphing calculators on the market. It has a larger screen, more advanced functions, and a larger memory capacity compared to other calculators.

What subjects is the TI-89 Titanium Calculator useful for?

The TI-89 Titanium Calculator is commonly used for advanced math and science courses such as calculus, physics, engineering, and statistics. It is also useful for standardized tests like the SAT and ACT.

Can the TI-89 Titanium Calculator be used on exams?

The TI-89 Titanium Calculator is allowed on most standardized exams, including the SAT and ACT. However, it is important to check with the specific exam guidelines to ensure that the calculator is permitted.