Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators TI-89 Titanium Calculator

1. May 30, 2008 #1
    Hopefully I can throw this question in this section, sorry if it should go elsewhere. Seeing as I am studying in engineering, I thought others may have the same calculator and be helpful.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was a way on this calculator to show say 1*_W (unit of watts) in terms of kg*m^2/(s^3). I know how to convert say 1km to 1mile and all that sort of thing. I just want to know if it was possible to show the units of measurement that make up watts or joules or newtons and things like that. Probably not, but I thought I would ask anyways. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2008 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I don't believe so. Perhaps the owners manual would have some more information. If you don't have one, I'm sure they are available online.

CS

4. May 30, 2008 #3
    I have looked in there, but it is pretty vague. I emailed the company at the start of the week, but they seem to be taking their time responding. I am not extremely worried, I was just curious and it would be useful sometimes.

5. May 30, 2008 #4
    Does calculator have a USB port to hook up to your computer? If it does then you can possibly find a program on the internet and if their isn't a program on the internet then you can program you caculator to convert units the programing on my TI-84 pulse silver edition is simple and you can probally program a basic unit conversion program yourself.

6. May 30, 2008 #5
    It does yes, I'll look into that. Thanks.

7. May 31, 2008 #6
    Have you tried the unit conversions? There's a little unit button on there, but it's a little difficult to figure it out. Here's a little tutorial batesville.k12.in.us/Physics/CalcNet/Calculator/ti_89/units_conversion.htm

8. Jun 2, 2008 #7
    Ya I have already tried that, thanks though.

9. Jun 2, 2008 #8

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think there is any built-in way to decompose or expand units. It will simplify/combine units, but not the reverse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?