Fixing the Ti-89 Titanium Calculator Problem

In summary: Hi, I have the same problem! I was trying to turn it off and I couldn't figure out how to do it. I turned it off by pressing F5, Dimond (symbol on buttion), Clear, and 0. Then I turned it back on by pressing 2nd and Quit. But now the bottom text isn't there. How do I fix it?In summary, turning the contrast down should fix the bottom text not being displayed.
Lc07
Hi, my cousin just gave me his Ti-89 Titanium calculator so I can use it for my classes which require heavy math, but it has a problem. The calculator will not shutdown and the screen will only go blank for a second and turns back on to its original state when I press 2nd and off to shut it. The way my cousin shut it before is to remove the batteries. I was wondering if there is any way to fix this on the Ti by myself without such a hassle of removing the batteries after every use.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can contact TI by e-mail (ti-cares at ti dot com) or 1-800-TI-CARES to see if they can offer any help.

EDIT:
A little googling finds the following:
I was able to fix the problem nut it requires several steps and only offers a temporary fix (untill the calculator is reset then it needs to be done again).
1. Press F5, then Dimond (symbol on buttion) then "Clear"
2. Press "alpha" then "S"
3. Press "0" don't mess with anything else here
4. Press "2nd" then "Quit"
Now you can turn it off but are missing the bottom text (rad,auto, etc...) to fix
6. Press "Mode" change radian to degree then "enter"
Now the text is displayed showing the mode.
7. Set the mode back to radian by reversing step 6.
Thats it I don't know how to get the bottom line back though...
Source: http://www.fixya.com/support/t255039-ti_89_titanium_wont_turn_off

Thanks for your help, the problem is now fixed :smile:

Hi~
I am turning on my 89 and the screen is full black. I can't do anything with it at all. Looking forward to hearing from someone who can help me.

NewNY2584 said:
Hi~
I am turning on my 89 and the screen is full black. I can't do anything with it at all. Looking forward to hearing from someone who can help me.

Turn down the contrast. You probably turned up the contrast while the batteries were dying, and now that you have fresh batteries, you need to turn down the contrast.

1. Why is my Ti-89 Titanium calculator not working properly?

There could be several reasons why your calculator is not working properly. It could be due to a software issue, a hardware malfunction, or a combination of both. It is important to troubleshoot the problem to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I fix the software issues on my Ti-89 Titanium calculator?

To fix software issues, you can try resetting your calculator or updating the operating system. You can also try reinstalling any third-party applications that may be causing the problem. If these steps do not work, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

3. What should I do if my Ti-89 Titanium calculator has a hardware malfunction?

If your calculator has a hardware malfunction, it is best to contact the manufacturer for assistance. They may be able to provide you with troubleshooting steps or repair options. It is not recommended to try to fix hardware issues on your own, as it may void your warranty.

4. Can I prevent future problems with my Ti-89 Titanium calculator?

To prevent future problems, it is important to properly care for your calculator. This includes keeping it in a protective case, avoiding dropping or exposing it to extreme temperatures, and regularly updating the operating system. It is also important to use caution when installing third-party applications.

5. How can I back up my data on my Ti-89 Titanium calculator?

You can back up your data by connecting your calculator to a computer and transferring the files. You can also use a USB cable to transfer files to a different calculator. It is important to back up your data regularly in case of any future issues with your calculator.