Plotting a Graph from a Table of Values - Help Needed!

In summary, to plot a graph with a given table of values, you can input the numbers into the Data/Matrix editor and then select the plot type and variables in the Y= screen. Alternatively, you can download the manual for the TI-89 calculator for more guidance.
sunny2009
can some please please tell me how to plot a 'graph'?
given a table of value allready.
like i have a complete table of values with the x's and the y's .all already
i just need to input the values in the calculator
to see how the graph of the table values likes like
when i select "table" in the app. it doesn't allow me to input the x's and y's values i have
sunny
thank a lot guys

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can download the manual ("guidebook") for the TI-89 from here:

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/downloadcenter/SoftwareDetail.do?website=US&appId=6128&tabId=2

Last edited by a moderator:
hi jtbell. i have the manuel but it not clear.
do u personally know how to input a given tables in the calc to obtain a graph.

sunny2009 said:
can some please please tell me how to plot a 'graph'?
given a table of value allready.
like i have a complete table of values with the x's and the y's .all already
i just need to input the values in the calculator
to see how the graph of the table values likes like
when i select "table" in the app. it doesn't allow me to input the x's and y's values i have
sunny
thank a lot guys
To enter numbers into the table, select the Data/Matrix editor, and a screen will pop up. It will want you to enter a variable name. In mine, I chose 'c'. This simply is the name of each column in the table. When you hit enter, the table will appear, and numbers can be entered, much like in Microsoft Excel.
If you've already entered the numbers into the Data/Matrix editor, go to Y= screen and scroll above y1. At plot 1, hit enter and select what kind of plot type you want. Then for x and y, enter the variable above each column of the Data editor. (i.e. c1, c2...whatever variable you selected when the Data/Matrix editor was first used). Then hit enter and graph. Hope this helps.

What is the purpose of plotting a graph from a table of values?

The purpose of plotting a graph from a table of values is to visually represent the relationship between two variables or sets of data. It allows for easier interpretation and analysis of the data, as well as identifying any patterns or trends.

What are the necessary steps for plotting a graph from a table of values?

The necessary steps for plotting a graph from a table of values include: 1) identifying the variables being represented on the x and y-axis, 2) labeling the axes with appropriate units, 3) plotting the points from the table of values onto the graph, 4) connecting the points with a line or curve, and 5) adding a title and legend if necessary.

What type of graph should be used for plotting a table of values?

The type of graph used for plotting a table of values depends on the type of data being represented. A line graph is typically used for showing the relationship between two continuous variables, while a bar graph is used for comparing discrete categories of data. Other types of graphs include scatter plots, pie charts, and histograms.

How can I ensure that my graph accurately represents the data from the table of values?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to carefully plot each point from the table of values and use a straight edge or ruler to connect the points. It is also important to label the axes correctly and use appropriate scaling. Additionally, double-checking the data and the graph for any errors is recommended.

Is it necessary to include a key or legend on the graph?

A key or legend is only necessary if the graph contains multiple lines or bars representing different categories or variables. It helps to clarify the meaning of each line or bar and make the graph easier to interpret. If the graph only contains one line or bar, a key or legend is not necessary.