TI RFID Evaluation Kit - Why Can't Tags be Placed on Metal?

• Thread starter citizencoolgu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rfid
In summary, RFID tags cannot be placed directly on metal surfaces due to interference with the radio frequency signals needed for communication. Specialized tags or shielding may be required for use on metal surfaces. However, there are methods to shield the metal surface and still use regular RFID tags, such as using a foam or adhesive layer or a different type of tag with a built-in shield. It is also possible to place RFID tags near metal objects, but careful consideration of distance and orientation is necessary to avoid interference. Alternatives to RFID technology, such as barcode or QR codes, can also be used on metal surfaces without interference.
citizencoolgu
Hi,
I've been doing some work with a TI RFID evaluation kit and I noticed that when I place one of the tags onto metal, they don't work. These are passive tags that respond to a signal from an antenna after being charged through induction and I was just curious as to why they can't be placed directly onto metal.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

If I had to guess, I'd say that the metal is absorbing the RF signal, or at least enough of it so that the tag isn't picking up a signal. I can't be sure though.

1. Why can't RFID tags be placed directly on metal surfaces?

RFID tags require a conductive material to function, and metal surfaces can interfere with the radio frequency signals needed for communication between the tag and reader. This interference can prevent the tag from being read or cause inaccurate readings.

2. Can I use an RFID tag on a metal surface if I use a special type of tag?

Some RFID tags are specifically designed to work on metal surfaces, but they often require a special type of tag or additional shielding to function properly. These tags are typically more expensive and may not be compatible with all readers.

3. Is there a way to shield the metal surface and still use a regular RFID tag?

Yes, there are methods to shield the metal surface and allow for the use of regular RFID tags. This can include using a foam or adhesive layer between the tag and metal surface, or using a different type of tag with a built-in shield.

4. Can RFID tags be placed near metal objects without causing interference?

It is possible to place RFID tags near metal objects, but the distance and placement of the tag may need to be carefully considered. The closer the tag is to the metal, the more likely it is to experience interference. Additionally, the orientation of the tag in relation to the metal can also affect its performance.

5. Are there any workarounds for using RFID tags on metal surfaces?

One workaround is to use RFID tags that are specifically designed for use on metal surfaces, as mentioned earlier. Another option is to use a different type of tracking technology, such as barcode or QR codes, which can be placed directly on metal surfaces without interference.