Solving for x with a Ti-89: Excluding 3 & 4

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-89
In summary, to input an equation into the Ti-89 calculator, use the "Y=" button and enter the equation with the appropriate symbols. To solve for x, use the "Solve" function and enter the equation to receive the solution. The calculator can handle multiple variables and inequalities, but it is important to use correct syntax and notation.
Euphoriet
I'm wondering how to set my ti 89 to ... " | x does not equal 3, and x does not equal 4 " for any partifular function... I tried a comma and a "|" still no go...

Computer science news on Phys.org
... | x =/= 3 and x =/= 4

The =/= being the = sign with the slash through it, available through diamond + =

The and is literally the string "and" which you can type in manually. I prefer to keep a menu item for it. :)

To exclude certain values for x when solving with a Ti-89, you can use the "assume" function. For example, to solve for x in the equation x^2 + 2x + 1 = 0, excluding 3 and 4, you would enter the following into your calculator:

solve(x^2 + 2x + 1 = 0, x) assume(x != 3 and x != 4)

This will ensure that the calculator does not include 3 or 4 as possible solutions for x. You can also use the "assume" function for more complex equations and inequalities by using "and" and "or" statements. For more information on using the "assume" function, you can refer to the Ti-89 user manual or online resources.

1. How do I input an equation into the Ti-89 calculator?

In order to input an equation into the Ti-89 calculator, you can use the "Y=" button on the calculator and enter your equation using the appropriate variables and symbols.

2. How do I solve for x using the Ti-89 calculator?

To solve for x using the Ti-89 calculator, you can use the "Solve" function. Simply enter your equation into the calculator and then press the "Solve" button. The calculator will then provide you with the solution for x.

3. Can I solve for x with multiple variables using the Ti-89 calculator?

Yes, the Ti-89 calculator has the ability to solve for x with multiple variables. You can enter your equation with multiple variables and then use the "Solve" function to solve for x.

4. Is there a specific format I need to use when solving for x with the Ti-89 calculator?

Yes, when solving for x with the Ti-89 calculator, it is important to use the correct syntax and notation. For example, use parentheses when necessary and use the appropriate symbols for operations (such as ^ for exponents).

5. Can I solve for x with inequalities using the Ti-89 calculator?

Yes, you can solve for x with inequalities using the "Solve" function on the Ti-89 calculator. However, it is important to note that the solution will be an interval rather than a single value.