Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tick bite? lyme disease?

1. Aug 12, 2008 #1

Staff: Mentor

Something bit the back of my leg near the knee the other day. Tonight I felt a lump and looked in the mirror and saw a pink spot where the lump is surrounded by a ring, I killed a couple of deer ticks within the last week.

The picture is blurry because I'm trying to take a picture behind my knee, I have a fever and feeling pretty bad all day. I'm going back to sleep.

What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2008 #2
    wow..........how do you hurt yourself this much!?!????

Evos new pic.
  4. Aug 12, 2008 #3
    Yes. Seek IMMEDIATE medical attention. A bullseye surrounding where the tick bit you is a major sign of lyme disease.
  5. Aug 12, 2008 #4
    I get small ones all the time ... They are usually less than 0.5 cm in diameter.
    I always feel better when I ignore them and pretty bad when I don't.

your looks scary! I never got rings
  6. Aug 12, 2008 #5
  7. Aug 12, 2008 #6

That doesn't look good.

Signs and Symptoms:
    • Rash. A small, red bump may appear within a few days to a month at the site of the tick bite — often in your groin, belt area or behind your knee. It may be warm to the touch and mildly tender. Over the next few days, the redness expands, forming a rash that may be as small as a dime or as large as 12 inches across. It often resembles a bull's-eye, with a red ring surrounding a clear area and a red center. The rash, called erythema migrans, is one of the hallmarks of Lyme disease, affecting about 80 percent of infected people. If you're allergic to tick saliva, redness may develop at the site of a tick bite. The redness usually fades within a week. This is not the same as erythema migrans, which tends to expand and get redder over time.
    • Flu-like symptoms. A fever, chills, fatigue, body aches and a headache may accompany the rash.
    • Migratory joint pain. If the infection remains untreated, you may develop bouts of severe joint pain and swelling several weeks to months after you're infected. Your knees are especially likely to be affected, but the pain can shift from one joint to another.
    • Neurological problems. In some cases, inflammation of the membranes surrounding your brain (meningitis), temporary paralysis of one side of your face (Bell's palsy), numbness or weakness in your limbs, and poor muscle movement may occur weeks, months or even years after an untreated infection. Memory loss, difficulty concentrating, and changes in mood or sleep habits also can be symptoms of late-stage Lyme disease.
    • Less common signs and symptoms. Some people may experience heart problems — such as an irregular heartbeat — several weeks after infection, but this rarely lasts more than a few days or weeks. Eye inflammation, hepatitis and severe fatigue are possible as well.
    • Skin problems. In Europe, people with advanced Lyme disease may develop skin nodules and patches of thinning skin on their hands, elbows or knees.

Rash - http://www.riversideonline.com/source/images/image_popup/thumbs/r7_lymerashthu.jpg

Get on antibiotics (Doxycycline) ASAP.

If I had a rash like that, I'd see my doctor ASAP for a test. Lyme disease is rather common in our area, and I periodically find ticks in the brush, and occasionally on the dog. I've had to remove ticks from myself, but I've never had a rash like that.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  8. Aug 12, 2008 #7
    Get to a doctor asap, lyme disease isnt something to mess with.
  9. Aug 12, 2008 #8

Homework Helper

Ditto. See a doctor immediately. It's not something to fool around with. The complications can be long lasting and profound.

The sooner treatment is initiated the better.
  10. Aug 12, 2008 #9
    Oh God, I'm so sorry Evo. :(

Hope everything turns out okay...
  11. Aug 12, 2008 #10

Homework Helper

And yes hopefully it is not Lyme disease.

Diagnosis via blurry jpg is not exact. And we can surely hope that there is a more benign explanation. But if deer ticks are common in your area and you killed any on you recently, then you must eliminate it as a possibility as quickly as practical.

Best of luck and good wishes
  12. Aug 12, 2008 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the same way that Railway locamotives are named for famous people/places - do you think that the local paramedics could just name one of their ambulances after Evo? And ideally have it standing by at her house!

Get well soon Evo. If it is Lyme's disease the antibiotics are usually effective, but don't wait around.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  13. Aug 12, 2008 #12
    This thread should be in Medical science forum,
    I hope everyone knows about this medical care
  14. Aug 12, 2008 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go ASAP, Evo!

Maybe you should date a doctor...? Just out of convenience, ya know?
  15. Aug 12, 2008 #14

Evo, it's you - do you really need to ask if it's Lyme disease? Of course it is.
  16. Aug 13, 2008 #15
    :frown: Sure looks like it. Evo, please, hurry to the docter, time is crucial.
  17. Aug 13, 2008 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those rings make all the difference in the world! The "bullseye rash" is a classic symptom of a lyme-disease bite!

Lyme disease can be cured if treated early. It can also cause permanent brain/nervous system damage if not treated early.

Evo, see a doctor today!
  18. Aug 13, 2008 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I live in Groton, Connecticut, which is two towns over from Lyme, Connecticut. I've caught the b*****d tick disease twice. Everyone above is correct. Last time I went in with the rash, the RNP said no blood test was necessary because the rash itself was "pathological."

BTW, there are 3 difference bacterial diseases carried by those deer ticks.

The deer ticks are primarily carried around by mice, so the danger zones are mouse-friendly areas. And cats who eat the mice will often bring the ticks indoors with them, then sleep on your bed and leave the little b*****ds on your pillow!
  19. Aug 13, 2008 #18

Gold Member

hmm..what can the doctor do about a rash like this?
    Do they give you antibiotics?

I have tick antibodies..but I don't remember being bitten by one. From what everyone else mentioned, I see that you don't always get a bull eye rash.

Why would some people get a rash whilst, others would not?
  20. Aug 13, 2008 #19
    I'm not going to do a Bill Frist on you but ...
    Don't panic. Do see a doctor. The image you sent is not what lyme disease looks like. I had a rash that looked like yours myself and went to the doctor with it (as, I repeat, you should do). It turned out to be harmless as yours likely is. But see a doctor anyway, or I'll lose my license to practice quackery over the internet.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bull's eye pattern of lyme disease.
    Don't bet your life on wiki either.
  21. Aug 13, 2008 #20
    Not all ticks carry lyme disease.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?