Could It Be Lyme Disease? Symptoms and Diagnosis

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disease
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who has been bitten by something on their leg and has developed a lump with a pink spot surrounded by a ring. They suspect it may be a tick bite and are experiencing flu-like symptoms, as well as a fever and feeling ill. Other participants in the conversation advise seeking immediate medical attention as the bullseye rash is a sign of Lyme disease. They provide information on the symptoms and treatment of the disease and offer support and well wishes. One person even suggests naming an ambulance after the person in case of emergency.
Moonbear said:
Evo, still get it checked by a doctor, especially if you're getting feverish symptoms. It doesn't have to be Lyme disease, but it still could be a bacterial infection from the bite...or complications from your broken arm mending, or your stomach surgery healing, or, well, with you, anything. You need to find yourself a nice ER doc to marry to save yourself so many trips to the ER. :rolleyes:

Why not MOVE INTO the ER?

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I managed to get a better look at whatever it is and it appears to be a bug bite inside a ringed bruise.
On the back of your knee, it could also be ringworm. Either way, that's something you should go to the doctor for.

JasonRox said:
I'm sorry but I can't see past this joke because the seriousness of this issue and how you're basically ignoring it.

And like everyone said, go see a doctor.
If my arms were two feet longer, I could take a better picture that would show that the ring is indeed a bruise. You can now make out the purple and yellow colors. It is apparently some freak thing that occured. The swollen "lump" is actually a swollen "line" about an inch long.

I am attaching a new picture, this time taken with my phone.

Attachments

• bruise 2a.jpg
    bruise 2a.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 419
Evo, go seek the opinion of a medical doctor. "Bruising" can also be a symptom of a bite. Brown recluse spiders can cause pretty spectacular "bruising" as their venom is a strong anticoagulant. Chance are, you are OK, but if you have an infection (Lyme or not) that goes untreated, the consequences can be serious. Please stop playing around with this.

problem is, Evo, that you can't compare anecdotal evidence of similar symtoms of otherwise healthy youngsters in a much more complex situation like yourself are in, with all the other medical things going. Please listen to Turbo.

Just go to the damn doctor, you may as well. They'll prolly find something else even if this is harmless...

Like everyone else says - please go to the doctor. Unless someone gave your knee a hicky, that is high abnormal. It could be a tick bite, or a spider bite, so you need a blood test to rule out Lyme or other tick-borne disease. The consequences are too severe not to do the test.

The brown recluse spider bites also need treatment since skin necrosis may result. A friends mother needed several skin grafts near one of ankles where she was bitten by a brown recluse. It never really healed properly and it cause complications - more than a decade ago.

Anyway, if one has a fever after breaking the arm, the surgery, the bug/tick bite, it really is a good time to see the doctor again.

Ok, they worked me in (he's just two blocks away) and he said it looks like I had a bruise and now a bug bit me inside the bruised area.

Or I was experimented on by Aliens, he said it's a tough call.

He's calling in a cream that I'll have to pick up later. Works on bug bites and Alien injections.

So there.

You have got to be some kind of idiot to get these symptoms and not go to the doctor. Are you too poor/dont have health insurance or something?

EDIT scratch that, posted 1 min too late...

WooHoo!

So which came first, the bug bite or the bruise :confused: ?

Oh:approve: I'm so glad it was just a alien experiment ! I'm glad you went.

lisab said:
WooHoo!

He said I'd had the bruise a couple of days from how it was dissipating. He said if I hadn't been bitten I probably never would have noticed it. He's right

hypatia said:
Oh:approve: I'm so glad it was just a alien experiment ! I'm glad you went.
Just in case, I'm buying some Hot Shot alien strips, guaranteed to stop aliens in their tracks!

Evo said:
He said if I hadn't been bitten I probably never would have noticed it. He's right
Against the backgorund level of Evo injuries anything less than losing a limb is probably difficult to detect!

Get well soon (why isn't there a bunch of flowers smiley?)

Evo said:
Just in case, I'm buying some Hot Shot alien strips, guaranteed to stop aliens in their tracks!

A simple aluminum foil hat works wonders, I've found.

If anyone wants to feel sorry for me, I cut up a jalapeno and even though I thoroughly washed my hands, there was still enough on there that when I stuck my finger up my nose, well, you know...

Oh, and food is still getting stuck in my esophagus and when I try to swallow I end up vomiting up whatever was stuck that didn't make it into my stomach. :approve:

Get a little food processor and handle your chilies only by the intact skin and stem. Generally, you can snap off the stem-cap of chilies, toss them in the processor, make your salsa or whatever, and then transfer it to bowls, canning jars, etc with spatulas or spoons. I regularly split and de-seed jalapenos by hand when making poppers for cook-outs with friends. I let that habit carry over into my habanero-relish production just one time only. My hands burned for days, especially when I got them wet like when taking a shower or doing dishes.

Sorry to hear about the obstruction. My dad has a hiatal hernia, and it causes his problems, especially with certain foods.

turbo-1 said:
Get a little food processor and handle your chilies only by the intact skin and stem. Generally, you can snap off the stem-cap of chilies, toss them in the processor, make your salsa or whatever, and then transfer it to bowls, canning jars, etc with spatulas or spoons. I regularly split and de-seed jalapenos by hand when making poppers for cook-outs with friends. I let that habit carry over into my habanero-relish production just one time only. My hands burned for days, especially when I got them wet like when taking a shower or doing dishes.
I thought I had washed up enough.

Sorry to hear about the obstruction. My dad has a hiatal hernia, and it causes his problems, especially with certain foods.
Supposedly my hiatl hernia was repaired while I was under. There were supposed to be 3 procedures done.

Evo said:
I thought I had washed up enough.
I don't know that you can wash (with soap and water) enough to get that stuff out of your skin. If you wash with dishwashing detergent and hot water and follow up with rubbing alcohol and repeat, you may get some relief, but it won't totally take away the burn of the really snarly peppers.

lisab said:

The chrysalis.

Evo said:
Ok, they worked me in (he's just two blocks away) and he said it looks like I had a bruise and now a bug bit me inside the bruised area.

Or I was experimented on by Aliens, he said it's a tough call.

He's calling in a cream that I'll have to pick up later. Works on bug bites and Alien injections.

So there.

Did you tell the doc about the fever you have / had ? And is your temperature still high or normal again ?

Lest anybody breathe a sigh of relief, please remember that this is Evo. Likely, that "bug-bite" is not a bite but the entry point for an ovipositor of a tropical insect that came home with her after a trip to the expensive food store with the frou-frou fuits. After a suitable incubation period, the larvae will need to tunnel out. Stay tuned. Film at eleven.

turbo-1 said:
Lest anybody breathe a sigh of relief, please remember that this is Evo. Likely, that "bug-bite" is not a bite but the entry point for an ovipositor of a tropical insect that came home with her after a trip to the expensive food store with the frou-frou fuits. After a suitable incubation period, the larvae will need to tunnel out. Stay tuned. Film at eleven.

:rofl:

turbo-1 said:
Get a little food processor and handle your chilies only by the intact skin and stem.

I use one like this:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7103/choppereo6.jpg

It works great, especially for salsa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
when I stuck my finger up my nose
:rofl::rofl: That is what Q-Tips are for!

turbo-1 said:
I don't know that you can wash (with soap and water) enough to get that stuff out of your skin. If you wash with dishwashing detergent and hot water and follow up with rubbing alcohol and repeat, you may get some relief, but it won't totally take away the burn of the really snarly peppers.
If one gets capsaicin on the hands, one should keep one's fingers away from sensitive areas like eyes and nose. To remove it, one would have to put butter or yoghurt on the hands, rub hands together, then rinse hands, then wash with detergent and water. Otherwise the capsaicin will stay on the skin, and water will hydrolyze capsaicin to dihydrocapsaicin, which I believe is the one that is the most burning one.

Astronuc said:
If one gets capsaicin on the hands, one should keep one's fingers away from sensitive areas like eyes and nose. To remove it, one would have to put butter or yoghurt on the hands, rub hands together, then rinse hands, then wash with detergent and water. Otherwise the capsaicin will stay on the skin, and water will hydrolyze capsaicin to dihydrocapsaicin, which I believe is the one that is the most burning one.
This seems to be the case. Water alone is a very poor response to capsaicin burns, as anybody who has tried to to quench the burn in their mouth after a surprisingly-hot pepper knows. Our dish detergent is made from palm-oil, and it does a better job of washing out the capsaicin than hand-soap, though even repeated applications interspersed with rubbing-alcohol rinses don't remove habanero juice well enough to prevent subsequent burning - especially when hands are immersed in hot water.

Makes sense, aren't most chillis fat soluble? That's why you drink milk/lhasi wthhot curries rather than water.

Here's a handy page that touches on the chemistry of capsaicin.

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/features/capsaicin.shtml

One expects that the long hydrocarbon tail will make capsaicin less water soluble than vanillin. This is indeed the case. Capsaicin is insoluble in cold water, but freely soluble in alcohol and vegetable oils. This is why drinking water after munching an habanero pepper won't stop the burning. A cold beer is the traditional remedy, but the small percentage of alcohol will not wash away much capsaicin. For relief from a chile burn, drink milk. Milk contains casein, a lipophilic (fat-loving) substance that surrounds and washes away the fatty capsaicin molecules in much the same way that soap washes away grease.

This is why my regimen of palm-oil soap alternated with alcohol rinses can lessen the burn of habanero juice on the skin. I've never been able to eliminate such burns when I've gotten a lot of juice on my skin, but it does help.

larkspur said:
:rofl::rofl: That is what Q-Tips are for!

Hmm I thought Q tips were for poking holes in your ear drums.:yuck:

turbo-1 said:
Our dish detergent is made from palm-oil,
You do know that palm oil is at the core of one of the most heated environmental debates?

Tropical forests are being destroyed so that palm oil can be produced!

FOR SHAME!

Evo said:
Does anyone think this sounds like a misdiagnosis? A bite on a bruise?

Evo, I think you should get a second opinion.

And I still think you should do it fast.

Because of you don't I will introduce you to my friend whose life is ruined because of Lyme Disease. She didn't get it treated because her doctor didn't recognize it. She became so sick and weak she has not been able to work ever since.

DaveC426913 said:
Does anyone think this sounds like a misdiagnosis? A bite on a bruise?

Evo, I think you should get a second opinion.

And I still think you should do it fast.

Because of you don't I will introduce you to my friend whose life is ruined because of Lyme Disease. She didn't get it treated because her doctor didn't recognize it. She became so sick and weak she has not been able to work ever since.
:cry:

I was ready to go to sleep. I thought everything was ok.

I don't know. I kinda have to agree with Evo and the doc. If you look at the pic its not as circular, or widely spaced as the lyme rashes, and it is sort of purple.

binzing said:
I don't know. I kinda have to agree with Evo and the doc. If you look at the pic its not as circular, or widely spaced as the lyme rashes, and it is sort of purple.
And the circle has broken up, which I was told is due to the bruise getting old and dissapating.

binzing said:
I don't know. I kinda have to agree with Evo and the doc.
Lyme disease is one of the http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/l/lyme_disease/misdiag.htm".

binzing said:
If you look at the pic its not as circular, or widely spaced as the lyme rashes, and it is sort of purple.
And if you're wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: