Could It Be Lyme Disease? Symptoms and Diagnosis

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disease
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who has been bitten by something on their leg and has developed a lump with a pink spot surrounded by a ring. They suspect it may be a tick bite and are experiencing flu-like symptoms, as well as a fever and feeling ill. Other participants in the conversation advise seeking immediate medical attention as the bullseye rash is a sign of Lyme disease. They provide information on the symptoms and treatment of the disease and offer support and well wishes. One person even suggests naming an ambulance after the person in case of emergency.
And if I'm wrong its not my fault, I myself told her to go to the doctor, and she has. I'm 16, she's ?? so I THINK she can choose for herself...

Physics news on Phys.org
I just read this thread for the first time--

Don't go to the doctor----you can be your own experiment

and if in two weeks time, if you can't move at all, then you know its Lyme's disease

binzing said:
And if I'm wrong its not my fault, I myself told her to go to the doctor, and she has. I'm 16, she's ?? so I THINK she can choose for herself...
binzing should run for US President. :approve:

wrongdiagnosis.com

Actually I have been misdiagnosed as having some of those things, turns out they were wrong. That website is notorious for fear mongering.

Ok, it never hurts to get a second opinion, it does hurt when you pander to hypochondriacs.

Last edited:
Evo ---no one every said that you weren't one tough kookie---but...

that bite may be worth having it lookied at again

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, the treatment for a lyme tick bite is a course of antibiotics consisting of *a single pill*!

I was bitten by a deer tick last year. My doctor said it was it was unlikely I was infected since I had no bullseye or redness, but offered me the prescription accompanied by this quick cost/benefit analysis: the downside to treating a nonexistent condition with a single dose of antibiotic is small, while the downside of missing Lyme's disease can be life altering and devastating. I agreed to take the pill.

marcusl said:
For what it's worth, the treatment for a lyme tick bite is a course of antibiotics consisting of *a single pill*!

I was bitten by a deer tick last year. My doctor said it was it was unlikely I was infected since I had no bullseye or redness, but offered me the prescription accompanied by this quick cost/benefit analysis: the downside to treating a nonexistent condition with a single dose of antibiotic is small, while the downside of missing Lyme's disease can be life altering and devastating. I agreed to take the pill.

I can't remember----was it red or blue?

rewebster said:
(look at the last thing on that list)
Looks like a cyclical redundancy cycle.

We don't have Lyme disease in the UK but the same thing applies to Weil's disease (Leptospirosis) rowers and canoeists get it and have a real job trying to persuade doctors to even test for it.

rewebster said:
I can't remember----was it red or blue?

I don't remember either, but I now seem to be able to move faster than light :smile:

Yeah, that wrong diagnosis site looked REALLY respectable...NOT! It had banner ads for all sorts of random stuff. If your going to provide a website to counter somebody's statement at least make a respectable one.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, now that the dust has settled, what's the scoop? Is Evo turning into a Were-deer?

Apparently just a bizarre bruise.

Last edited:
rewebster said:
I looked at this page and a little way down on the page there's this sub-heading:

Alternative diagnoses list for Lyme disease:

(look at the last thing on that list)

:rofl:

Of course, looking at that list, some really aren't misdiagnoses so much as diagnoses of exclusion. For example, PCOS has a lot of symptoms in common with other reproductive disorders. There's no specific test for it, so the only way to diagnose it is to test for everything else it might be first, and if it's none of those, then it's PCOS. Of course, that leaves people feeling like they've been misdiagnosed when they feel like they've been tested for everything on the planet before the doctor gives them their correct diagnosis.

Moonbear said:
For example, PCOS has a lot of symptoms in common with other reproductive disorders.
Hey! that's what Mrs. DaveC426913 is currently recruiting for for clinical studies!

<h2>1. What are the common symptoms of Lyme disease?</h2><p>The most common symptoms of Lyme disease include a rash, flu-like symptoms, joint pain, and fatigue. However, symptoms can vary greatly and may also include neurological, cardiac, and cognitive symptoms.</p><h2>2. How is Lyme disease diagnosed?</h2><p>Lyme disease is typically diagnosed through a combination of clinical evaluation, blood tests, and a physical exam. The most commonly used blood test is the ELISA test, which looks for antibodies to the bacteria that causes Lyme disease.</p><h2>3. Can Lyme disease be mistaken for other conditions?</h2><p>Yes, Lyme disease can often be mistaken for other conditions due to its wide range of symptoms. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis.</p><h2>4. How soon after a tick bite can symptoms of Lyme disease appear?</h2><p>Symptoms of Lyme disease can appear anywhere from 3 to 30 days after a tick bite. However, it is possible for symptoms to appear even later, so it is important to monitor for symptoms for several weeks after a tick bite.</p><h2>5. Is there a cure for Lyme disease?</h2><p>Lyme disease can be effectively treated with antibiotics if caught early. However, if left untreated, it can lead to more severe and chronic symptoms. It is important to seek treatment as soon as possible if Lyme disease is suspected.</p>

1. What are the common symptoms of Lyme disease?

The most common symptoms of Lyme disease include a rash, flu-like symptoms, joint pain, and fatigue. However, symptoms can vary greatly and may also include neurological, cardiac, and cognitive symptoms.

2. How is Lyme disease diagnosed?

Lyme disease is typically diagnosed through a combination of clinical evaluation, blood tests, and a physical exam. The most commonly used blood test is the ELISA test, which looks for antibodies to the bacteria that causes Lyme disease.

3. Can Lyme disease be mistaken for other conditions?

Yes, Lyme disease can often be mistaken for other conditions due to its wide range of symptoms. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis.

4. How soon after a tick bite can symptoms of Lyme disease appear?

Symptoms of Lyme disease can appear anywhere from 3 to 30 days after a tick bite. However, it is possible for symptoms to appear even later, so it is important to monitor for symptoms for several weeks after a tick bite.

5. Is there a cure for Lyme disease?

Lyme disease can be effectively treated with antibiotics if caught early. However, if left untreated, it can lead to more severe and chronic symptoms. It is important to seek treatment as soon as possible if Lyme disease is suspected.