Ticker Timer Experiment: Calculating Displacement, Velocity & Acceleration

• Thread starter crays
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Timer
In summary, the conversation is about a student from Malaysia who is new to the platform and is seeking help with their homework on the ticker timer's experiment. The student's teacher asked them to calculate the total displacement, average velocity, and acceleration of the trolley using a graph made from the tape strips. The student is confused about how to find the values for the graph and how to calculate the time taken for the experiment. Other users in the conversation provide helpful tips and explanations to assist the student.
crays
Hi , I'm new here =) .
This is from my homework . My teacher let us do the ticker timer's experiment with 50 GHz . after that , we r suppose to calculate the total displacement and the average velocity and also the acceleration of the trolley . we cut the tape into 5-tick strips and pasted into a graph . The graph show ... err a constant acceleration i guess , coz it's going up . But then how am i suppose to calculate the total displacement and average velocity ?

Please help =) .
sorry for my bad english x( , I'm from malaysia ^^" .

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the acceleration is constant? There may be acceleration, but if the velocity graph does not appear linear then it will not be technically "constant acceleration."

To find the total displacement, I think you would just need to subtract the initial position value from the final position value.

Average velocity would be equal to displacement over time elapsed. (On your graph this would be equal to the slope of the position graph).

Also, you mentioned you will need to calculate the acceleration of the trolley. I assume you mean the average acceleration? If this is true, then you would want to subtract your initial velocity from your final velocity and divide by total time elapsed.

I hope this helps!

thanks , i get it . But , my graph have no value , how do i get the value to substitue ? do i measure the tape's length ?

Welcome to PF Crays,

If you are plotting a velocity - time graph (I assume you are) then the acceleration would be given by the gradient of the the line. Remember acceleration in the change in velocity over time hence;

[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}[/tex]

To determine the displacement from a velcoity time graph, you need to find the area under the line, this is equal to the total displacement. If you velocity is a straight line (as it should be with constant acceleration) you can form a triangle using the slope of the hypotenues, with the time axis as the base and the velocity as the perpedicular height.

Regards
~Hoot

oh , i get the acceleration part . Still , my graph have no value at all x( . no value at y-axis , not at x-axis . no nothing , i only got strips with different length , each strips have 5 dots in it . How do i get some numbers into the graph ?

I'm new here! Apologize for my bad english ><
I'm doing similar experiment and my teacher asked us to calculate the time taken,t.
For one tick is 0.02s, each strip contain 10 ticks, that make it 0.2s for one strip. There were 7 strips which 10 ticks on each strip. However, the time taken for all 7 strips is not 0.2s x 7 = 1.4s, instead it is 0.2s x (7-1) = 1.2s.
My question is why minus one? Where did the time taken for one strip gone??
Your answer will be much appreciated.

1. What is the purpose of a ticker timer experiment?

The purpose of a ticker timer experiment is to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion. It is a simple and accurate way to study the motion of an object and determine its key parameters.

2. How does a ticker timer work?

A ticker timer works by attaching a strip of paper with evenly spaced dots to a moving object. As the object moves, it breaks the beam of a timer at regular intervals, leaving a dot on the paper. By measuring the distance between the dots, the time interval, and the starting position, we can calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the object.

3. What are the necessary materials for a ticker timer experiment?

The necessary materials for a ticker timer experiment include a ticker timer, a strip of paper, a moving object, a stopwatch, and a ruler. Optional materials include a tape measure, a graph paper, and a calculator.

4. How do you calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration using a ticker timer?

To calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration using a ticker timer, we use the following formulas:

• Displacement = (distance between dots) x (number of dots)
  • Velocity = (displacement) / (time interval)
  • Acceleration = (change in velocity) / (time interval)

By plugging in the values measured from the ticker timer experiment, we can easily calculate the desired parameters.

5. What are some sources of error in a ticker timer experiment?

Some sources of error in a ticker timer experiment include human error in starting and stopping the stopwatch, variations in the speed of the moving object, and friction between the object and the surface it is moving on. These errors can affect the accuracy of the calculated values and should be minimized as much as possible.