Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ticket Sales and Target Window for First Commercial Launch

1. May 15, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/tourism-05p.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2
    This is not the kind of thing I would want to be first in line for. I think I'll let them work the kinks out first.

4. May 16, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Once again, another example in today's society of how business weenies are trying to mandate technical innovation. That will fail miseably. The real question is is will anyone get killed...

5. May 16, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

They flight is supposed to reach an altitude of 80 miles (they say 30 miles above the atmosphere), and still suborbital.

All for only a mere $250K. :rolleyes:

http://aeraspacetours.com/brochure/AST_Brochure.html

6. May 16, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and I'll bet you don't even get lunch!

Honestly, assuming that all appears to be reasonably well managed, I would probably go if I had the money. If I had a real chance to experience space flight, here and now, I don't think I could pass it up. Or more to the point, it is much more likely that I would board the rocket than it is that I would have and extra 250K.

7. May 16, 2005 #6

Astronuc

I would recommend having lunch after the trip. :rofl:

Ivan, you could sign up as steward, unless you want to get you spacepilot license and certification.

I wonder what they will do for pilot training - or will it be automated - control from the ground? :biggrin:

One has to be in pretty good shape to deal with 3.5 to 4 g.

8. May 16, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. May 17, 2005 #8

Astronuc

Ivan, regarding dog-fighting, check out the book - "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War" by Robert Coram. Very profound.

Boyd was the 'best' dog-fighter the US ever had. He was undefeated. The military would not allow him in combat because he was too valuable to lose. Instead, he ended up training US pilots - basically his program was a precursor to 'Top Gun' and similar programs in the other branches.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  10. May 18, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting, I'll definitely pick that up.

You can't do Air Combat without getting totally hooked on the subject. But I do wish that I had read about dog fighting and practiced on a video game before going up. There are many basics that are easily learned, that can be practiced ahead of time by using games.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?