Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tickle-ish inside your mouth?

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've wondered if other folks may have experienced this.
    I feel a tickling sensation, when I brush my top teeth on the inside (near to roof of my mouth).

I've experienced this most of my life. Just never thought to compare notes before.
    I wonder if there are others who also have a ticklish spot inside their mouth (or other odd place you would not expect one).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not ticklish when brushing my teeth, but if the brush hits the middle of the roof, then yes it tickles me.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not ticklish when brushing my teeth either, but if the brush hits the soles of my feet, then yes, it tickles me.

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4
    That cooks mine up brown brother, I am not borrowing your toothbrush again.

6. Feb 18, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I don't notice a tickle as such, but getting near the top back of my mouth triggers a serious 'gag reflex'. I have to be careful to not throw up.

7. Feb 18, 2009 #6
    My stepson P laughs like mad when I brush his teeth with a sonicare. Of course I have to also make sound effects and tell him how great he's gonna look for the ladies to get him to cooperate... so he could be laughing at all that. Regardless... at least it gets him to keep his mouth open.

8. Feb 18, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

He's old enough to care about girls, and can't brush his own teeth? :confused:

9. Feb 18, 2009 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not ticklish when I brush my teeth, either.

I don't think my dogs are either, but it's hard to tell. It doesn't matter which gets their teeth brushed first (I tend to alternate somewhat randomly), the first would rather not be getting their teeth brushed while the second can't wait to get their teeth brushed.

This in spite of the fact that they each have their own toothbrush, which eliminates the possibility that the toothbrush somehow changes during the first brushing. I've tried putting the tooth paste on the brushes at the same time and also tried putting the tooth paste on the brushes immediately prior to brushing and the effect is the same.

I'm thinking that maybe I brush differently on the second dog than the first dog. Maybe I get fatigued during the first one and the second brushing is gentler and tickles instead of hurts?

It could be that watching another dog get their teeth brushed makes it look a lot more appealling than it really is, but, come on, even a dog will eventually realize it's teeth brushing regardless of which order they get it. If it's just psychological, they should either a) both begin to like getting their teeth brushed regardless of order since they're getting attetion or b) both begin to resent teeth brushing regardless of order.

10. Feb 18, 2009 #9
    He's physically disabled... but decidedly still hormonal. :biggrin:

11. Feb 18, 2009 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Ah, I hadn't thought of that contingency. I hope that the question wasn't offensive; I really was curious. It must be rough on him to have urges and not be able to act upon them. (I know that it's rough on me, and my only disability in that area is that I'm married. :rolleyes:)

12. Feb 22, 2009 #11

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is quite interesting. Only a few here have noted a similar ticklish sensation inside their mouths. Now I am curious to see if this is an inherited trait, by asking family members.

By your description, I would count this as a yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook