Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tickling Rats

1. Aug 17, 2008 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Ferrets love being tickled too. Their laughter is audible - it's a repetitive chuckle that sounds kind of like "dook, dook". Often, they would squirm away only to run back and play keep-away until I caught them and tickled them some more. When we got slippery Pergo flooring in the living room, the tickling and keep-away morphed into "ferret-bowling".

4. Aug 17, 2008 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All I know is that laughter can be a .... well, hmmmmm .....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Aug 17, 2008 #4
    Rats behave like dogs?

I am sure only dogs would play like that (not cats)

6. Aug 17, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm still not sure how they decided it's laughter and not just some other form of vocalization? How do they know it tickled and the vocalization wasn't more of a, "Ooh, yeah baby, that's the spot! Ooh, yeah, keep rubbing there! Oh, that feels so good! ...Hey, where are you going? Come back! Rub me again!" :biggrin:

7. Aug 17, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Non-scientific interpretation, but the ferret laughs seemed to be reflexive, and they were pretty sensitive (to tickling) on their rib-cages, especially up near their fore-legs.

8. Aug 17, 2008 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Dad at the Comedy Barn

A whopping 6 minutes and 41 seconds of a girl watching the "Dad at the Comedy Barn video:

My God, this is worse than Tanzanyika 1962!

9. Aug 17, 2008 #8
    Re: Dad at the Comedy Barn

I thought she gonna die.

I think too much laughing can cause death.

10. Aug 17, 2008 #9
    I had a rat, never got him to laugh, but he was way cool. Super smart. He'd hold banana chips in his paws and eat them back and forth across like a piece of watermelon. He was also trained to climb up the back of your shirt and sit on your shoulder.

11. Aug 17, 2008 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you know? Rats laugh at 50 kHz and the range of human hearing only goes up to 20 kHz (if you're young - adults can't hear high frequencies).

12. Aug 17, 2008 #11
    Then perhaps he did

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?