1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tidal forces/fields

1. Aug 25, 2005 #1
    Hey people,

Im doing some analysis of some N-body simulation data. I'm trying to calculate the tidal forces exerted on the smaller groups of particles by the other mass. I have a model for the distribution of matter causing the tidal field so I can analytically calculate the gravitational potential and the directional second derivatives, but how do I translate that into the forces. Anybody have a reference for some good reading on the subject.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2005 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well if you have a potential V(x,y,z) then the force in cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) is given by
    [tex]
    F_x = \frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{x}} \hspace{.25 in} F_y = \frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{y}} \hspace{.25 in} F_z = \frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{z}}
    [/tex]

and if you have a unit vector U, the tidal force T is another vector, the gradient of the force F in the direction of vector U, given by

[tex]
    T_x = \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial x \partial x}} U_x +
    \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial x \partial y}} U_y +
    \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial x \partial z}} U_z
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    T_y = \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial y\partial x}} U_x +
    \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial y\partial y}} U_y +
    \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial y\partial z}} U_z
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    T_z = \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial z\partial x}} U_x +
    \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial z\partial y}} U_y +
    \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial z\partial z}} U_z
    [/tex]

You can write this in tensor notation

[tex]
    T^i = K^i{}_j U^j
    [/tex]

where [tex] K^i{}_j = \frac{\partial^2{V}}{\partial x^i \partial x^j}[/tex]

It gets more complicated if you want to use general (non-cartesian) coordinates

But you can always say that the tidal forces at a point are given by a second rank tensor, one that takes in a vector (the displacement) and spits out a vector (the tidal force).

I *think* that the partial derivates should normally alll commute, so [tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x \partial y} = \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial y \partial x} [/tex]

Google finds "Clairaut's theorem"

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ClairautsTheorem.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?