1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tides homework problem

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I am a French teacher who teaches physics in English. I've proposed to my pupils this work about the tides.http://vfsilesieux.free.fr/2deeuro/Thetides.html" [Broken]
    I would very much enjoy any kind of correction (vocabulary, grammar, ideas) to improve the quality of this work (questions + corrections).
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It would certainly benefit from the inspection of a native English scientific eye.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Re: Tides

Lesieux,

i am a native English speaker, and I read over your link on the tides. I found it to be almost perfect, and had difficulty suggesting any improvements. The only thing i could find (and this is a very minor point), is that I would typically not use the verb "to stand" in the way you used it in the description of the inverse square law. I would just say, "if an object is two times closer to the moon, it will experience a gravitational force one-fourth as large. However, there is nothing wrong with it the way you wrote it, and I had no trouble understanding it.

4. Mar 2, 2011 #3
    Re: Tides

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook