Tidying Up Vectors: Correct Representation or Too Mathy for Physics?

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the most appropriate way to represent the answer to the question involving vectors would depend on the context and the coordinate system specified. A normalized cartesian vector or a vector with the velocity broken up into its cartesian components would be optimal. The notation used should be convenient for both the writer and reader.
Noxide
Suppose the answer to a question involving vectors is the following:

v = 42.7ms-1 at 339.4 degrees counterclockwise from the positive x-axis

Is it also correct to state the answer as

v = 42.7ms-1 at 339.4 degrees counterclockwise from R1i >= 0,

or is this representation too mathy for physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you could answer it either way, though I don't think either of those answers is particularly "tidy". why is it you want to use this notation? it seems somewhat superfluous to me for the type of question it seems to be answering.

i think the most appropriate answer would depend on the context of the question, and if there was an obvious coordinate system that was specified in the question (ie, the "x axis").

IMO, the optimal way to answer it would be with a normalized cartesian vector (ie, (cos,sin)) multiplied by the velocity amplitude. and if not that, then a vector with the velocity broken up into its cartesian components.

i don't think the question is "is it too 'mathy' for physics", but rather, "is it an optimal notation to describe the situation physically, given the context"

in my experience, both mathematicians and physicists generally try to use notation that is convenient to both the writer and reader (perhaps with the exception of dirac/bra-ket notation... gah)

1. What is the purpose of tidying up vectors in physics?

Tidying up vectors in physics is important because it helps to accurately represent the physical quantities involved in a problem. By organizing vectors in a systematic and clear way, it becomes easier to understand and solve complex physics problems.

2. What is meant by "correct representation" when it comes to vectors in physics?

In physics, a correct representation of vectors refers to the accurate depiction of the magnitude, direction, and orientation of a physical quantity. This includes using the correct mathematical notation and symbols to clearly represent the vector.

3. How does tidying up vectors relate to the overall understanding of physics?

Tidying up vectors is an essential part of understanding physics because it allows for a clearer and more organized representation of physical quantities. This leads to a better understanding of how these quantities interact and affect each other in a given problem.

4. Is tidying up vectors too mathy for physics?

No, tidying up vectors is not too mathy for physics. In fact, it is a fundamental aspect of solving physics problems and is necessary for accurate and precise calculations. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind vector representation in order to effectively tidy up vectors.

5. Are there any tips for effectively tidying up vectors in physics?

Yes, some tips for effectively tidying up vectors in physics include using clear and organized diagrams, labeling all vectors with their respective magnitude and direction, and using the correct mathematical notation and symbols. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of vector operations and how they relate to physical quantities.