Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tie up your dog!

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1

turbo

Gold Member

I damned near killed a dog today. My wife and I were going to her family's camp to pull in the dock, put patio stuff inside the camp, drain plumbing, and otherwise prepare for winter, when a dog (looks like a Rottweiler/Lab mix) decided to run out in front of us. I slammed on the brakes (the dog is lucky that the Legacy has a good anti-lock system!) and managed to stop just as we reached him. He got a little tap from the bumper, but ran off with no evident problems, turned and looked at us, then headed down a gravel road/driveway. I would have felt bad if I had hurt or killed the dog, but frankly, the dog's owner would bear the ultimate responsibility for not taking steps to ensure that it would not be running loose in the road. I love dogs, but I'm not about to risk my own life or that of my wife by making evasive maneuvers to avoid one. If we had taken my old Nissan pickup instead of the Subaru, that dog would be dead.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yup. I came upon a stray husky wandering down a major highway. It was totally confused. Eventually it was hit and died. I tracked down the owner through the tags. He lived in a town about 10 miles away.

4. Sep 30, 2006 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sad part is that some families like the outcomes.

5. Sep 30, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What?
    You mean like, on purpose?

6. Sep 30, 2006 #5
    Here's a terrible photo of Chuchu and Kia (taken with my phone).

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?