Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TIG welder issue

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    I have a large 350A TIG welder in my garage that I like to use. The problem is that sometimes, when I am welding with it, it will do strange things like my cause my sprinkler system to turn on or the alarm on my house will just go off even though it wasn't set in the first place. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2010 #2
    your high-frequency start or arc stabilizer is what is doing it, I have the same problem with mine (miller dynasty dx) it turns the light on the garage door opener on and off at random times. There isn't much you can do about it other than turning the HF off (good luck with aluminum) or moving the machine further away from your sprinkler timer and your home alarm. Sorry, I think this is one of those "nature of the beast things" I have also heard stories of the HF in welders killing cell phones too, so watch out for that too
  4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    That's funny. That's the same model as mine (miller dynasty 350 DX). Any ideas on dealing with HF interference, anybody? Maybe special grounding?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook