Troubleshooting 350A TIG Welder Issues

• Thread starter JerryG
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a large 350A TIG welder causing strange occurrences such as the sprinkler system turning on or the house alarm going off while in use. The cause of this is determined to be the high-frequency start or arc stabilizer, which is a common problem with this particular model (miller dynasty 350 DX). The suggested solutions include turning off the HF (although difficult for welding aluminum) or moving the machine away from other electronic devices. There have also been reports of HF interference affecting cell phones. Suggestions for dealing with this include special grounding techniques.
JerryG
I have a large 350A TIG welder in my garage that I like to use. The problem is that sometimes, when I am welding with it, it will do strange things like my cause my sprinkler system to turn on or the alarm on my house will just go off even though it wasn't set in the first place. Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
your high-frequency start or arc stabilizer is what is doing it, I have the same problem with mine (miller dynasty dx) it turns the light on the garage door opener on and off at random times. There isn't much you can do about it other than turning the HF off (good luck with aluminum) or moving the machine further away from your sprinkler timer and your home alarm. Sorry, I think this is one of those "nature of the beast things" I have also heard stories of the HF in welders killing cell phones too, so watch out for that too

That's funny. That's the same model as mine (miller dynasty 350 DX). Any ideas on dealing with HF interference, anybody? Maybe special grounding?

1. How do I fix a weak arc on my 350A TIG welder?

There are several potential causes for a weak arc on a TIG welder. First, check the power source and make sure it is delivering the correct voltage and amperage. Next, check the tungsten electrode and make sure it is sharp and properly inserted into the torch. Finally, check the gas flow and make sure it is set to the correct flow rate for your specific welder.

2. Why is my welder producing inconsistent welds?

Inconsistent welds can be caused by a number of issues. First, check the condition of the welding torch and make sure it is clean and free of debris. Next, check the ground connection and make sure it is secure and not corroded. Finally, check the welding parameters and make sure they are set correctly for the type of metal and thickness being welded.

3. What should I do if my welder is overheating?

If your TIG welder is overheating, the first thing to do is to stop welding and allow the machine to cool down. Check the cooling system and make sure it is functioning properly. Also, make sure the machine is not being operated in a hot or humid environment. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to have the machine serviced by a professional.

4. How do I troubleshoot a gas leak on my 350A TIG welder?

If you suspect a gas leak in your TIG welder, the first step is to check all the connections and make sure they are tight. Next, check the gas hose for any cracks or damage and replace if necessary. If the leak persists, it may be caused by a faulty gas valve or regulator, which should be replaced by a professional.

5. Can I use a 350A TIG welder for other welding processes?

Technically, a 350A TIG welder can be used for other welding processes, such as stick welding or MIG welding. However, it is important to note that the machine may not be optimized for these processes and may not produce the best results. It is always best to use a TIG welder for TIG welding and a separate machine for other processes.