1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tight binding - evaluate integral

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The energy of an electron within a band as a function of its wavevector is given by the
    tight-binding expression (in one dimension),

E(k)=-[itex]\alpha[/itex]-[itex]\gamma[/itex][itex]\Sigma[/itex][itex]_{m}[/itex] exp (-ik[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{m}[/itex])

(a)What are typical expressions for integrals [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex]?
    (b) Evaluate the integral [itex]\gamma[/itex] for the following wavefunction, assuming it is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, being careful to distinguish the cases 2x[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\leq[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex] and 2x[itex]_{0}[/itex]>[itex]\rho[/itex]:

[itex]\phi[/itex](x)=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{2x_{0}}}[/itex] |x|[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]_{0}[/itex]

[itex]\phi[/itex](x)=0 |x|>x[itex]_{0}[/itex]

(c) Hence evaluate the energy of an electron in a linear chain of these atoms with a
    spacing a and make a graph of the result for the two cases 2x0 a and 2x0 > a.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\alpha[/itex]=-<[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]_{n}[/itex]|H|[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]_{n}[/itex]>
    [itex]\gamma[/itex]=-<[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]_{m}[/itex]|H|[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]_{n}[/itex]>

But I cannot do part b) because I do not know what [itex]\phi[/itex][itex]_{m}[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex][itex]_{n}[/itex] are. All that I know is that sometimes n=m and sometimes it does not. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2
    What is [itex]\rho[/itex]? Why does it matter whether [itex]\rho[/itex] is bigger or smaller than x[itex]_{0}[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook