Tight-Binding p-bands in fcc crystal, Ashcroft - Mermin book

In summary, in a problem from Chapter 10 of "Solid State Physics" by Ashcroft and Mermin, the energy bands for a face-centered Bravais lattice with only nearest-neighbor \gamma_{ij} appreciable can be found by solving the roots of a determinant. The diagonal terms are derived correctly, but there was a mistake in the derivation of the off-diagonal terms (specifically, the two starred terms in the second to last equation). The mistake was that the two integrals should have had the same sign in front of the y term, resulting in a negative sign in front of both of the two starred terms. This leads to the correct expression of 4\gamma_{1}\cos\frac{1}{2
tzo
Hi all,
I'm trying to solve a problem in Ashcroft - Mermin "Solid State Physics", Chapter 10: The Tight-Binding Method, and need your help.

Homework Statement

In problem 2(c) it says:
For a face-centered Bravais lattice with only nearest-neighbor [itex]\gamma_{ij}[/itex] appreciable, show that the energy bands are given by the roots of

[itex]0 = \begin{vmatrix}
\varepsilon(\vec{k})-\varepsilon^{0}(\vec{k})+4\gamma_{0}\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a & -4\gamma_{1}\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a & -4\gamma_{1}\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a \\
-4\gamma_{1}\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a & \varepsilon(\vec{k})-\varepsilon^{0}(\vec{k})+4\gamma_{0}\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a & -4\gamma_{1}\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a\\
-4\gamma_{1}\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a & -4\gamma_{1}\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a\sin\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a & \varepsilon(\vec{k})-\varepsilon^{0}(\vec{k})+4\gamma_{0}\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a
\end{vmatrix}[/itex]

where

[itex]
\varepsilon^{0}(\vec{k})={E}_{p}-\beta-4\gamma_{2}(\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a+\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a\cos\frac{1}{2}{k}_{y}a+\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a),\\
\gamma_{0}=-\int d \vec{r}[{x}^{2}-y(y-\frac{1}{2}a)]\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{{x}^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(z-\frac{a}{2})^{2}})\Delta U(\vec{r}),\\
\gamma_{1}=-\int d \vec{r}(x-\frac{1}{2}a)(y-\frac{1}{2}a)\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+{z}^{2}})\Delta U(\vec{r}),\\
\gamma_{2}=-\int d \vec{r}x(x-\frac{1}{2}a)\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+{z}^{2}})\Delta U(\vec{r}).
[/itex]

I could derive diagonal terms properly, but off-diagonal terms, for example (1,2)-entry, become :

[itex]4 \gamma_{1}\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a[/itex]

Below is my derivation. Could you tell me where I made a mistake?

Homework Equations

http://dileepma.tripod.com/cha10.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

(1,2)-entry[itex] = \beta_{xy}+\widetilde{\gamma}_{xy}(\vec{k})\\[/itex]
[tex]
=0+\sum_{n.n.}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{R}}[-\int d \vec{r} \psi_{x}^{*}(\vec{r})\psi_{y}(\vec{r}-\vec{R})\Delta U(\vec{r})]\\
[/tex][itex]
= e^{i(\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a+\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a-\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y-\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(-\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a+\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(-\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a-\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y-\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a+\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} xy\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+{y}^{2}+(z+\frac{a}{2})^{2}} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a-\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} xy\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+{y}^{2}+(z-\frac{a}{2})^{2}} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(-\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a+\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} xy\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+{y}^{2}+(z+\frac{a}{2})^{2}} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(-\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a-\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} xy\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+{y}^{2}+(z-\frac{a}{2})^{2}} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a+\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{{x}^{2}+(y+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(z+\frac{a}{2})^{2}} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a-\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{{x}^{2}+(y+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(z-\frac{a}{2})^{2}} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(-\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a+\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y-\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{{x}^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(z+\frac{a}{2})^{2}} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(-\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a-\frac{1}{2}k_{z}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y-\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{{x}^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(z-\frac{a}{2})^{2}} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
=e^{i(\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a+\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ e^{i(\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a-\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y-\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))---- (*)\\
+ e^{i(-\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a+\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r})) ----(*)\\
+ e^{i(-\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a-\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a)}(-\int d \vec{r} x(y-\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\
+ 8 \cdot 0\\
=4 \gamma_{1}\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a
[/itex]

I'm suspecting that two starred terms in second last equation has negative sign.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out for help. I have looked over your derivation and I believe I have found the mistake.

In the two starred terms in the second to last equation, you have the following integrals:

(-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r})) ----(*)\\
+ (-\int d \vec{r} x(y-\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\

The problem is that in the first integral, you have x(y+a/2), but in the second integral, you have x(y-a/2). This is incorrect because the two integrals should have the same sign in front of the y term. Therefore, the correct expression should be:

(-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y+\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r})) ----(*)\\
+ (-\int d \vec{r} x(y+\frac{a}{2})\phi(r)\phi(\sqrt{(x-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+(y-\frac{a}{2})^{2}+z^2} )\Delta U(\vec{r}))\\

This will result in a negative sign in front of the two starred terms, which will then cancel out the negative sign in front of the first starred term, giving you the correct expression of:

4 \gamma_{1}\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{x}a\cos\frac{1}{2}k_{y}a

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your problem.

1. What is a tight-binding p-band?

A tight-binding p-band refers to a specific energy level or band of electrons within an fcc (face-centered cubic) crystal that are primarily influenced by the p-orbitals of the atoms in the crystal lattice. This band is described by the Ashcroft-Mermin book as part of the electronic structure of solids.

2. How is a tight-binding p-band different from other energy bands?

A tight-binding p-band is unique in that it is heavily influenced by the p-orbitals of the atoms in the crystal lattice, rather than the s- or d-orbitals which typically dominate other energy bands. This means that the electrons within this band have a different energy and behavior compared to those in other bands.

3. What is the significance of studying tight-binding p-bands?

Studying tight-binding p-bands is important in understanding the electronic properties of materials and how they behave in different conditions. This information can be used in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and solid-state physics to develop new technologies and improve existing ones.

4. How are tight-binding p-bands described in the Ashcroft-Mermin book?

The Ashcroft-Mermin book describes tight-binding p-bands using mathematical equations and models to explain the behavior and properties of these energy levels. It also provides examples and case studies to illustrate the concept and its applications in different materials.

5. What are some real-life examples of materials with tight-binding p-bands?

Some examples of materials with tight-binding p-bands include semiconductors such as silicon and germanium, as well as metals like copper and aluminum. These materials are commonly used in electronic devices, and their properties are heavily influenced by the behavior of electrons within tight-binding p-bands.