What Type of Chemical Bonds Exist Between Tight Junctions in Human Cells?

In summary: Tight junctions, also known as occluding junctions or zonulae occludentes, are composed of transmembrane proteins such as claudins and occludins. These proteins form a barrier between adjacent cells, preventing the passage of molecules and ions between them. The bonds between these proteins are primarily hydrogen bonds. This is important in animal cells, specifically epithelial cells, during early developmental stages. In summary, tight junctions are composed of claudin and occludin proteins, which form strong bonds between adjacent cells through hydrogen bonding. These junctions are important in animal cells, specifically epithelial cells, during early developmental stages.
Matt204823545
TL;DR Summary
What type of bonds are there in them?
I know tight junctions between adjacent cells are very strong and the gaps are practically zero. But what types of chemical bonds are they? Are they covalent bonds or hydrogen or ionic bonds? I mean between the claudin and occludin proteins.

Biology news on Phys.org
I started to answer. But. With no idea where this came from the answer is 'yes'. Not helpful at all. And downright pointless.

So fill us in, please. I'm pretty sure it is not plants:
1. Animal cells? What animals?
2. Tissue? Epithelial?
3. Developmental stage?

As a guess:
You can look up claudin which is probably what you want: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudin

Actually, your question came close to being locked. We love good questions, this one has great potential, just no traction - i.e., details. Okay? So please realize that we do not see what you are looking at, pretend we're blind. Details help.

1595682654633.png

In almost all these images you seen loops (claudin, occludin) between adjacent cells that are almost touching, but not. My professor may have said (if I understood correctly) that they have hydrogen bonds between those loops. I think it's for human cells. For example between adjacent epithelial cells on the skin

From lecture slide:
1595683107828.png

Attachments

• 1595683016328.png
    1595683016328.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 150

1. What are tight junctions between cells?

Tight junctions are specialized structures that form a barrier between adjacent cells, preventing substances from passing between them. They are made up of proteins that bind cells tightly together, creating a seal that is impermeable to most molecules.

2. Where are tight junctions found in the body?

Tight junctions are found in many different tissues and organs throughout the body, including the lining of the digestive tract, blood vessels, and the skin. They are also present in the blood-brain barrier, which helps regulate the movement of substances into and out of the brain.

3. What is the function of tight junctions?

The main function of tight junctions is to maintain the integrity of the barrier between cells. This helps to control the movement of substances, such as nutrients and waste products, between different parts of the body. Tight junctions also play a role in cell signaling and communication.

4. How are tight junctions different from other types of cell junctions?

Tight junctions are different from other types of cell junctions, such as gap junctions and desmosomes, in that they create a complete seal between cells. This means that substances cannot pass between cells, whereas other types of junctions allow for limited movement of molecules.

5. What happens if tight junctions are damaged or malfunctioning?

If tight junctions are damaged or not functioning properly, it can lead to a disruption in the barrier between cells. This can result in increased permeability, allowing harmful substances to pass through and potentially causing inflammation or disease. Some diseases, such as inflammatory bowel disease, have been linked to dysfunction of tight junctions.