Tight junctions between cells

Summary:

What type of bonds are there in them?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I know tight junctions between adjacent cells are very strong and the gaps are practically zero. But what types of chemical bonds are they? Are they covalent bonds or hydrogen or ionic bonds? I mean between the claudin and occludin proteins.

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor
I started to answer. But. With no idea where this came from the answer is 'yes'. Not helpful at all. And downright pointless.

So fill us in, please. I'm pretty sure it is not plants:
1. Animal cells? What animals?
2. Tissue? Epithelial?
3. Developmental stage?

As a guess:
You can look up claudin which is probably what you want: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudin

Actually, your question came close to being locked. We love good questions, this one has great potential, just no traction - i.e., details. Okay? So please realize that we do not see what you are looking at, pretend we're blind. Details help.

1595682654633.png

In almost all these images you seen loops (claudin, occludin) between adjacent cells that are almost touching, but not. My professor may have said (if I understood correctly) that they have hydrogen bonds between those loops. I think it's for human cells. For example between adjacent epithelial cells on the skin

From lecture slide:
1595683107828.png

Attachments