1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tightening the charged sphere

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A metal sphere, of radius R and cut in two along a plane whose minimum distance from sphere's centre is h, is uniformly charged by a total electric charge Q. What force is necessary to hold the two parts of the sphere together?

2. Relevant equations
    Elestrostatic equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    After the cut, the charges would get redistributed along the section, right? I figured a spherical cap repelling the other piece as they would get the same charge signal, so the neccessary force to hold them both is the repelling force F,
    F = EQ
    E is the electric field
    How can I calculate this E through the spherical cap??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't think in terms of an actual cut. The two quasi-hemispherical sections are joined together so all the charge is on the joined sphere's round surface, but there is a repulsive force trying to separate the two sections.
    Beyond that I have no hints to offer.

4. Aug 16, 2014 #3
    Good call, as the force gets the quasi-hemisferical sections together, the charges will remain in the sphere's surface. I will retry it later.

5. Aug 17, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good luck with this, I suspect it's a tough problem, probably belongs in the advanced physics forum.

WAG: there's a line thru the center of the sphere and perpendicular to the cut. For each sphere section there's a point on this line where the net force in the direction of the line is zero (taking one section at a time). If you were to put the respective surface charges Q1 and Q2 at those two points, could you argue F = k Q1 Q2/d^2 where d is the distance separating those two points?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted