Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tightening your belt

1. Jun 26, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Are price increases creeping into your budget yet? I have had to put a couple of extra holes in my belt ,but that may be because of the excessive amount of physical work i have to do rather than eating less, on the other hand i do tend to look at prices now instead of just putting an item in the shopping trolley.`

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2008 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You carry your groceries in a streetcar?? Maybe getting something smaller would help with the budget. :biggrin:

4. Jun 26, 2008 #3
    Be sure to look at the lowest shelfs, Wolram, the goodies are usually about 50% of the price compared to those at eye level. But better have a healthy back for that.

5. Jun 26, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sometimes the good bargains are on the tippy top shelf too. I have to climb the shelves to reach those. :grumpy:

6. Jun 26, 2008 #5
    I don't pay as much attention as I used to.

7. Jun 26, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I pay way, way more attention than I used to, due to attention hyperinflation. I have to carry wheelbarrows full of it and I still get distracted.

8. Jun 26, 2008 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've certainly noticed the increasing cost of food, but I'm lucky to have a comfortable job and enough income to not need to actually worry about it.

- Warren

9. Jun 26, 2008 #8
    I'm cooking more from scratch, and buying more bulk items. I've switched from baggies to wax paper for sammiches. It seems to save me a little. I'm still up about 15 dollars a week from last year at this time.

10. Jun 26, 2008 #9
    My belt is tightening on it's own it seems....and I'm running out of room for any extra holes. :)

11. Jun 26, 2008 #10
    :rofl: I'm going to steal this first chance I get.

12. Jun 26, 2008 #11
    So far the only noticable price increases I have seen are at the gas pump. Since I need to drive to various locations for work I just fill my tank and try not to think about it. It needs to be done one way or another and I can much more easily find ways of saving money in the grocery store or what have you.

13. Jun 26, 2008 #12
    Why not try this?

[​IMG]

14. Jun 26, 2008 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't matter how much you earn, if both of you were grad students for 5years you always buy the reduced stuff / make your own sandwiches etc for the rest of your life!

15. Jun 26, 2008 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have begun to cook from scratch more often as well. While grocery store prices have gone up, it is still cheaper than eating out.

16. Jun 26, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have too many corners to cut when it comes to groceries. I've always cooked from scratch most of my meals, and bargain shopped. So, at this point, I just don't really pay any more attention than I always did. Food is one of those things I need to have, so there's really not much choice there. I've noticed some prices of things creeping up, but nothing so horrendous yet that I'd be worried.

17. Jun 26, 2008 #16

Borek

Staff: Mentor

So far far from being forced to look at prices, but when Junior moved out last year our weekly shopping was lower for some time, it is getting back to the same numbers as before.

18. Jun 27, 2008 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Supermarkets do seem to discriminate against height challenged people, i bet it gives the shelf stacker's a laugh seeing little people climbing all over the place.

19. Jun 27, 2008 #18
    Gas prices are killing me since I commute a lot.

20. Jun 27, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I cook everything from scratch, but we are feeling the price increases, too because the increases are extending to staples like flour, rice, dried beans, pasta, etc. Gas is the worst, and about 10% of my wife's take-home pay is required to buy gas for the commute. She has a very fuel-efficient compact car, but at >$4/gallon, a commute that seemed quite reasonable when we moved out here is starting to pinch.

21. Jun 27, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's the biggest change I need to consider. I'm glad I haven't bought a house yet, because until this summer, I've been thinking about rural properties that are less expensive than the ones close to town for more land (not necessarily more house). But, with the rising gas prices, I have to seriously rethink that plan. For that sort of commute, I'd need to factor in a lot more added expense for gas in the car every time I drive to work or drive to a grocery store. Now I'm thinking I might be better off paying the higher prices for houses much closer to work, maybe even consider the direction I'd be coming from and find ones where I can get in along bikeable roads (the university has finally woken up and is starting to put in more bike racks as people are complaining about the expense of commuting to work...it is hitting the maintenance/custodial crews first, partly because they're on a fairly low payscale, and partly because they all seem to insist on driving pick-up trucks).

I saw someone driving a little Smart Car around yesterday. I can't see how that little thing could ever handle snowy mountains, but it sure is cute. Looks like a viable option for a second car, where you can use it to commute in good weather, but still have the second car to use sparingly for things like snow days and the monthly grocery shopping trip for all the large and non-perishable items, or packing up luggage to go to the airport, etc. On the other hand, if that Smart Car couldn't get up the snowy roads itself, it looks small enough to push. :rofl: (I am curious as to how stable they are...the wheel base looked considerably narrower than the height of the car...looks like a rollover waiting to happen, unless something else about the way it's weighted prevents that).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?