1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tightly wound solenoid

1. Feb 22, 2004 #1
    I can't seem to figure out how to solve this problem. If you are given the solenoid length and diameter. And told it consists of a single layer of tightly wound wire with the diameter of the wire given, the change in current thru the wire given, and the change in time given how would you find the inductance? It seems to me I need N. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2004 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"length" --- "tightly wound" --- "diameter of wire" --- "need N" --- hmmmmmmmmm.

4. Feb 23, 2004 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think there is a missing piece of information. You could get the inductance from EL=-L(di/dt), but you don't have the voltage drop across the inductor. Likewise, you could get it from the formula for the inductance of a solenoid, but as you say you don't have "N".

Take a closer look at the problem, and see if you aren't overlooking some given info.

5. Feb 23, 2004 #4

turin

Homework Helper

Try to find N from the length of solenoid and diameter of wire.

6. Feb 23, 2004 #5
    Thanks guys..I used the length of solenoid and the diameter of the wire to find N. Don't know why I couldn't seem to think of that myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?