Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tile a plane with three sided figures

1. Jun 15, 2004 #1

I know one can tile a plane with three sided figures, four sided figures and six sided figures if each figure is identical. Are there any other numbers that would work?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Actually, you can tile a plane with any even number of sides > 2, and 3 of course. I don't know if there are others.

I will show an eight sided figure that can be used to tile a plane, and the rest follows.

Imagine for now a regular octogon. Now, we take three consecutive sides of the octogon and flip them over to form a convex octogon which can fit into itself. This shape can be used to tile a plane. It follows that the same can be done for any greater even number of sides. This is just one example of a shape that can do it. There are infinitely many, of course.
  4. Jun 15, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also there's...
    |__ |__ |__ |__ Ignore the dots (only to make spacing work)

If that's impossible to comprehend, here, let me describe it...

Imagine a pentagon, with 3 neighboring sides at right angles, and the other 2 sides equal to each other. Now stick 2 such pentagons together (see figure for clue) and you have a 7 sided (double-house) figure. You can tile a floor with these.

In fact, the original pentagon (single-house) would itself work, as would, by extension, any number of such pentagons stuck to each other (n-house). All these figures have an odd number of sides.

Since there is no requirement for regularity in the problem, this, along with vertigo's demonstration, shows that tile-solutions exist for all integers.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  5. Jun 23, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think this gets harder if you add the requirement that the shapes be convex.

Regarding regular polygons:
    Consider that the angle of a regular n-polygon is [tex]180-\frac{360}{n}[/tex], and for a regular polygon, the angle needs to be a divisor of [tex]180[/tex] or [tex]360[/tex]. Since any divisor of [tex]180[/tex] is also a divisor of [tex]360[/tex], it's sufficient to deal with divisors of [tex]360[/tex].

Now, we know that the polygon will have 3 or more sides, so [tex]180-\frac{360}{n} \geq 60[/tex].
    Simultaneously we have [tex]180-\frac{360}{n} < 180[/tex].
    Now, we can list all divisors of 360:
    The divisors are
    1 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10 12 15 18 20 24 30 36 40 45 60 72 90 120 180 360

so the only possible divisors are :60,72,90, and 120.
    We know that 60 (hexagon), 90 (square) and 120 (triangle) are represented, so the only one left to check is
    but [tex]\frac{360}{108}[/tex] is not an integer, so there is no suitable regular polygon.

Consequently, the ony regular polygons that tile the plane are triangles, squares, and hexagons.
  6. Jun 24, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

check these tiles out : http://beloit.edu/~jungck/ ...Escher, I think.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?