Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tilt Model of the Earth

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    Earth has a tilt to it about 23.439281° to -23.439281° from the Tropic of Cancer to the Tropic of Capricorn. The tilt faces the sun at differrent points from 23.439281° to -23.439281° creating the seasons etc. I have written a preliminary MatLab program showing the 3D Earth Equitorial Model plus some rings at the equator and at the tilt maxima and minima. What I need is some help with the trigonomic equation of the 3D loop ring that connects the two tilt maxima and minima thru the origin. Here is an example of what I have. Center loop:

x = r * cos(theta) * sin(phi)
    y = r * sin(theta) * sin(phi)
    z = r * cos(phi)

where r = 6378100, phi = 90 and theta = 0 - 360

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2
    I have had nothing but trouble finding a set of equations to calculate the Tilt of the Earth trigonometrically for a theta (0 to 2pi) and a given Obliquity = 23.439281° (for Earth). Please disregard the MatLab program above. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook