Pulling masses up a tilted plane with kinetic friction

In summary, kinetic friction makes it more difficult to pull masses up a tilted plane by opposing the applied force. The magnitude of kinetic friction is influenced by the coefficient of friction, weight of the masses, and angle of the incline. The force needed to pull masses up a tilted plane with kinetic friction can be calculated using the equation F = μk * m * g * sinθ. To reduce the effect of kinetic friction, lubricants can be used or the weight of the masses can be decreased. The angle of the incline also affects the force needed, with steeper inclines resulting in a greater force of friction.
jamiebean
Homework Statement
attached below
Relevant Equations
N= mg
螢幕截圖 2020-05-22 下午8.29.37.png

first, i calculated the kinetic friction:
0.77 x (weight of the 2 boxes x 9.8)= 55.16N

then i calculated the angle of the triangle:
tan^-1(2.5/4.75)=27.758

IMG-0945.jpg

then i drew this

then i used sine to find out force 3 which is 33.3556

so the final force needed is 33.3556 + kinetic friction= 88.516

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
My numbers disagree with yours. Since you do not provide the equations in which you substituted the numbers, I cannot check the details of where you went wrong. The statement
jamiebean said:
then i used sine to find out force 3 which is 33.3556
is not informative enough. Please post a more complete solution.

1. What is the definition of kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with a surface and moving at a constant speed.

2. How does the angle of the tilted plane affect the amount of force needed to pull a mass up?

The steeper the angle of the tilted plane, the greater the force needed to pull a mass up due to an increase in the component of the force of gravity acting against the motion.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction when pulling a mass up a tilted plane?

The amount of kinetic friction is affected by the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, the weight of the object, and the angle of the tilted plane.

4. How can the force needed to pull a mass up a tilted plane with kinetic friction be calculated?

The force needed can be calculated using the formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where F is the force needed, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the tilted plane, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

5. Is it possible to reduce the amount of kinetic friction when pulling a mass up a tilted plane?

Yes, the amount of kinetic friction can be reduced by using a lubricant between the two surfaces, decreasing the weight of the object, or decreasing the angle of the tilted plane.