Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tim Russert Died - 58

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am sooooo sad! He was THE man and critical to getting truth in an election cycle.

This is a terrible terrible loss. I will miss him very much.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608/

I have been a huge fan of Russert's since he took over Meet The Press in 1991. Back in the bad old days, I had to get up every Sunday morning at 7AM to watch. But it was worth every minute.

4. Jun 13, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Woah! He was young - only 58!

NBC's Tim Russert dead at 58
    He was the Washington bureau chief and moderator of ‘Meet the Press’

Very sad, especially for his family. :frown: My condolsences to his friends and family.

5. Jun 13, 2008 #4
    He and I are only a couple of weeks apart in age. I always thought I would die at my desk at work. It looks like he actually did so. I'm still planning on it, but the bull looks a lot different when you get in the ring.

6. Jun 13, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just heard what sounds to me like a fitting epitaph to his career as a political journalist - He did his homework. And that is what made him a giant.

7. Jun 13, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Russert was apparently doing voiceovers for an upcoming program.

Tim Russert, NBC Stalwart, Dies of Heart Attack
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91488979
    by Melissa Block and David Folkenflik
    Note that the heart attack came without warning. That's why it's important for older folks (over 50) to get regular (annual) checkups, and perhaps watch diet, exercise and level of stress.

8. Jun 13, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are now reversing the reference to "Heart Attack", and are specifying "Cardiac Arrest", which typically exhibits no symptoms, such as chest pains. He just dropped.

He and his father were extremely close. And over the years it became obvious that he adored his father. This week Russert had to commit his father to an assisted care facility, which he described as the most difficult day in his life. One has to wonder if the emotional stress played a significant role. And I can only imagine what his father must feel today.

9. Jun 13, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that's a shock! At the height of his career, and right in the middle of the most interesting race in many decades - what a shame. My sympathies to his loved ones.

10. Jun 13, 2008 #9
    Exactly.

He was one of few major media newspeople willing to ask at least a few hard questions.

If bill moyers dies we're totally screwed.

11. Jun 13, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some early reactions

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/russert-condolences-and-reacti.html

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/06/13/reactions_to_russerts_passing.html

12. Jun 13, 2008 #11
    He was such an amazing journalist, especially on Meet the Press. I'm still in disbelief that we won't be waking up to his show on Sundays anymore.

13. Jun 13, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't imagine that show without him! Who else could give 'em hell, but in such a professional way that it never got personal?

So many interviewers let people slide off the hook - not him. When Russert would ask a pol a question, if it wasn't answered directly, Russert would just smile and ask it again...and again...

14. Jun 13, 2008 #13

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tim Russert was NBC News. He made it what it is today. He always asked tough pertinent questions to people on both sides of the political spectrum and always got his answers. He was the definition of a great journalist. The next person who takes over Meet the Press has a lot to live up to.

As Keith Olbermann said two hours ago during his coverage of the story: "Meet the Press will have another host, but I can't imagine it having another moderator."

15. Jun 13, 2008 #14
    Oh sh!T!

We lost one of the GOOD ones. Damn.............

Why cant a guy like O'reilly die?

Today is a sad day for the news.

If Charlie Rose dies, I will never watch the news again. They were the only two I liked.

16. Jun 13, 2008 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tim Russert was one of my favorites. He was a good kid. And he always came into a show prepared. I really liked him. I will miss him and MTP.

17. Jun 13, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Possibly. A cardiologist I know likes to talk about some studies on the higher incidence of women being admitted to hospitals with stress-related cardiac incidents, and when he speculates about why the incidence is higher in women, he says it's because he doesn't think the men ever make it to the hospital, they die too quickly rather than that they don't have these stress-induced cardiac problems. Then again, he wasn't a small guy, so may have already had some cardiovascular conditions prior to this.

This is a shame though. He was one of the few people in the media who I really felt strived for unbiased reporting as much as possible. Maybe not perfect, but about as good as one could expect.

18. Jun 14, 2008 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In an interview with Charlie Rose, Russert said that they once took a poll of MTP viewers: 100% polled as active voters

In order to prepare for a show, he read every public statement ever made by every guest

He was best known for challenging guests with their own words.

His basic tactic was to learn everything that he could about a politician's position on a subject - to know at least as much about it as the guest - and then take the other side.

Meet The Press had become a litmus test for politicians. If you bombed with Russert, your career was in trouble. He is widely credited with effectively ending Ross Perot's candidacy in less than an hour. Perot didn't pass the Russert test - he couldn't answer targeted and specific questions.

In spite of the quote, he was known by both sides of the aisle, and his peers, as the gold standard of fair and balanced journalism.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  19. Jun 14, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/14/us/politics/14appraisal.html?ref=us

20. Jun 15, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russert had a wooden plaque in his office that said: No Whining

I grabbed this screen shot from a review of his life and work, today, on Meet The Press.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  21. Jun 18, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

- Bill Bennett.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?