Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Timber home

1. Jun 28, 2008 #1

tgt

Anyone lived in a timber home (house made out of weatherboard)? What is it like?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

I live in a house made of logs, and so does my sister. Is that what you're talking about? The exterior walls are solid wood and the wood provides all the insulation.

4. Jun 28, 2008 #3

tgt

No. Just a house with exterior looking like it's wood. Like those houses near beaches.

5. Jun 28, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're the same as any other house, just have boards instead of vinyl or aluminum siding (wood frame construction rather than brick or stone or logs). The exterior requires more maintenance than if you get siding. The house I grew up in had a redwood exterior, and that required every couple years scrubbing off any molds or moss trying to grow on it and retreating it with stain and wood preservative of some sort (I don't really remember what it was we used, I just remember getting handed scrub brushes for one weekend then paint brushes the following weekend and being instructed to do the parts that required climbing behind the overgrown shrubs :grumpy:). A lot are cedar, and often painted over, so maintenance then involves a LOT of time scraping chipped/peeling paint followed by the new coats of good paint. If you do that right, it lasts a while, but looks so awful when it's peeling and time for repainting.

6. Jun 28, 2008 #5

tgt

I'm not too worried about the exterior as I am renting. How about sound penetration compared to brick homes?

7. Jun 28, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Considering the wood house I grew up in was well-insulated, and the brick one I later lived in not so much at all, less noise heard in the wood house...but I think that's more a factor of insulation, and quality of the windows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?