Exploring the Dimensions of Time and Space

In summary, the dimension of time is a relative concept and is only observed when an object with mass is in motion. The speed an object travels through the dimension of space affects its speed through the dimension of time. However, this is only relative to an observer in a different frame of reference. Asking about absolute rest is not meaningful because there is always a frame of reference in which an object is in motion.
LawrenceM
I'm hoping someone is willing to help me with this question.

Time is well explained when observed at point between absolute rest and c. The faster an object travels through the dimension of space, the slower that object travels through the dimension of time. Fair enough.

Does this mean that the dimension of time only pops into existence when an objects that has mass moves at a rate somewhere between absolute rest and c? Is the dimension of time "absent" at both extremes (absolute rest and c)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting that velocity is a relative concept. Something can only be at rest relative to something else, or moving at velocity v with respect to something else. Your statement:
The faster an object travels through the dimension of space, the slower that object travels through the dimension of time.
Applies with repsect to an observer in a different frame of reference. However, an observer in the same frame as the object obviously experiences time to move at the same rate. The only velocity that is truly irrespective of observers is c, since it is measured the same for all of them.

I think this should clear up whatever questions you have about this.

wow, that was fast - and thank you. So everything that has mass is in motion and experiences time. Differences in time and speed are relative to the frame from which they are being observed. So is asking about absolute rest sort of like asking about the beginning of time? Or like asking what’s north of the north pole again ;)

Well asking about an object which is absolutely at rest is actually a meaningful question with a meaningful answer. Simply put, nothing can be absolutely at rest because there always exists a reference frame such that this object is in motion.

I'm not sure where you're going with the beginning of time bit, but it seems a little irrelevant to the discussion here.

You’re right of course. The beginning of time comment isn’t relevant. What I meant to say is that there’s no point in me wondering about perspective from reference frame of absolute rest because, as you helped me understand, everything with mass is in motion from at least one other reference frame. As an amateur, I was trying to imagine how time and space might be perceived from an object that was in a true state of absolute rest. You’ve helped me understand why there's no such thing.

1. What is the difference between time and space?

Time and space are two fundamental concepts that are closely related but distinct from each other. Time is a measurement of the duration of events, while space is a measurement of the distance between objects. In other words, time is the progression of events, while space is the physical extent in which those events occur.

2. Can time and space be manipulated?

According to the theory of relativity, time and space are not fixed and can be influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time and space can be manipulated to a certain extent, but only in extreme conditions such as near black holes or at high speeds.

3. How many dimensions of time and space are there?

In our everyday experience, we are aware of three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) and one dimension of time. However, according to some theories, there may be additional dimensions of space and time that are not perceivable by humans.

4. How does time and space affect the universe?

Time and space are the building blocks of the universe and are intimately connected to the laws of physics. The expansion of the universe, the formation of galaxies and planets, and the behavior of matter and energy are all influenced by the dimensions of time and space.

5. Can we travel through time and space?

At this point in time, it is not possible for humans to travel through time and space in the way that is portrayed in science fiction. However, scientists are constantly researching and exploring ways to manipulate time and space, and there may be possibilities for time travel in the future.