What are the Requirements for Time to be Considered a Vector?

In summary: In relativity, we can talk about each spacetime event being specified by 4 components (i.e. a 4-vector). We only know which is the time component when we define it ourselves. So time is not a separate entity from space in relativity.
romsofia
Is time a vector?

I don't think so, because we can't go back in time therefore it can't follow vector rules.

However, I'm not sure this works in all cases (such as in a cases where v is close to c).

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
In relativity, time is one component of the spacetime 4-vector.
Also, it is theoretically possible to go meet your former self according to general relativity.

You can make time a scalar or a vector in a particular theory...the test is whether such a formulation matches observations and leads to any predictions. Is it useful??

While time is a vector in relativity it is not in Newtonian physics.

...because we can't go back in time therefore it can't follow vector rules.

A vector has magnitude and direction...it doesn't have to point everywhere nor is our ability to "go" with a vector a criteria...for example, you also cannot "go" where an acceleration vector does.

BruceW said:
In relativity, time is one component of the spacetime 4-vector.
Also, it is theoretically possible to go meet your former self according to general relativity.

Oh I think I've seen that somewhere, but I thought we took the time out. E.G. [tex]{S(x,y,z,t)}[/tex] and then we did something like [tex]{S(x,y,z)*e^{-i\omega t}}[/tex] but I doubt that is what you're talking about haha.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Naty1 said:
A vector has magnitude and direction...it doesn't have to point everywhere nor is our ability to "go" with a vector a criteria...for example, you also cannot "go" where an acceleration vector does.

A vector also has to follow basic laws (addition, subtraction, etc). If you can't go back in time, then you can never have a negative time value which is possible following the laws of subtraction.For example, [tex]{C=B-A}[/tex] with [tex]{B=1}[/tex] and [tex]{A=2}[/tex] then [tex]{C=-1}[/tex] which wouldn't make sense to me.

Anyways, thanks for your input and help!

romsofia said:
Oh I think I've seen that somewhere, but I thought we took the time out. E.G. [tex]{S(x,y,z,t)}[/tex] and then we did something like [tex]{S(x,y,z)*e^{-i\omega t}}[/tex] but I doubt that is what you're talking about haha.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

No problem. It looks like you're talking about some quantum energy eigenstate. This can't be done for a general quantum state. Also, I was talking about relativity, not quantum mechanics.
In relativity, we can talk about each spacetime event being specified by 4 components (i.e. a 4-vector). We only know which is the time component when we define it ourselves. So time is not a separate entity from space in relativity.

BruceW said:
No problem. It looks like you're talking about some quantum energy eigenstate. This can't be done for a general quantum state. Also, I was talking about relativity, not quantum mechanics.
In relativity, we can talk about each spacetime event being specified by 4 components (i.e. a 4-vector). We only know which is the time component when we define it ourselves. So time is not a separate entity from space in relativity.

Brain fart on my part haha, I guess when I was typing that I forgot that you were talking about general relativity >.<!

Thanks for all the help though, I have little knowledge of relativity so I guess I have to start studying some of it :D!

romsofia said:
A vector also has to follow basic laws (addition, subtraction, etc).
The laws that a vector must satisfy are listed here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space#Definition

There is no requirement that you be able to "go" backwards in time for time to be a vector. A negative time simply means that one thing happened earlier than another.

1. What is a vector in relation to time?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the context of time, it refers to the direction of time, which can be either forward or backward.

2. Is time considered a vector in physics?

No, time is not considered a vector in physics. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and no direction.

3. Can time be represented graphically as a vector?

No, time cannot be represented graphically as a vector because it does not have a direction. It is usually represented as a one-dimensional line on a graph.

4. Why is time not considered a vector in mathematics?

Time is not considered a vector in mathematics because it does not follow the rules of vector addition and subtraction. Unlike vectors, time cannot be added or subtracted, and it does not have a direction that can be combined with other vectors.

5. Are there any situations in which time can be considered a vector?

Yes, in some contexts, time can be treated as a vector. For example, in quantum mechanics, time can be represented as a vector in a complex vector space. However, this is a mathematical abstraction and does not reflect the physical nature of time.