Calculating Time and Distance: Solving for When Two Objects Will Meet

• Thread starter drcathyc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, two men, A and B, start out at time 0. A is traveling at 3.2 kph and B is traveling at 6 kph. A starts out 35 kilometers ahead of B. To find out how long it will take for B to catch A, we can set up an equation with A's position as a function of time and B's position as a function of time. Solving for time, we find that it will take 12.5 hours for B to catch A. This solution was discovered through a helpful conversation and problem-solving process.
drcathyc
Two men start out at time 0. Man A is traveling at 3.2 kph. Man B is traveling at 6 kph. Man A starts out 35 k ahead of man B. How long will it take for B to catch A?

I know this is a simple question for many of you, but I just can't recall how to solve it. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Let the (spatial) origin be placed at B's original position

2. State A's position, as measured from the origin, as a function of time.
3. Do the same with B's position.
4. Formulate the equation for time t when A and B are at the same position

arildno said:
1. Let the (spatial) origin be placed at B's original position

2. State A's position, as measured from the origin, as a function of time.
3. Do the same with B's position.
4. Formulate the equation for time t when A and B are at the same position
Ok, A's position at time 0 is 5.8 hours ahead of B if B travels at 6 kph. I don't know the spatial point when B overtakes A and I don't know the time. I'm still confused. :confused:

A's position from the spatial origin at time t=0 is 35 kilometers, agreed?

So, assume that time "t" has passed, how far is A from the origin?

arildno said:
A's position from the spatial origin at time t=0 is 35 kilometers, agreed?

So, assume that time "t" has passed, how far is A from the origin?
35k + t(3.2kph) ?

Correct!

And, after time "t", how far away from the origin has B come?

0 + t(6.0kph) ?

Quite so!

Now, what equation must hold when A and B are at the SAME position at the SAME time "t"?

35 + t(3.2) = 0 + t(6.0) ??

Again, correct! :smile:

Now, solve that equation for "t"

6t - 3.2t = 35
2.8t = 35
t = 35/2.8
t = 12.5 !

and you're done..

Thank you so much for your help. As a psychologist, I've probably forgotten more math than I ever learned (except maybe statistics). I'm working on an Science Fiction novel and needed to plot out this situation. Again, thanks, particularly for walking me through in developing the equation rather than simply supplying the answer. Your help is well appreciated.

You're welcome, I hope you enjoyed the trip.
I did.

I did enjoy the trip.And realized that my plot line wouldn't work with that solution. The good guys (A) would get wiped out by the bad guys (B). Without the help, I would have written an entirely unrealistic scene.

I think it is great that you devote enough attention to "the little details" like maths. I've read my share of novels where the author's lacking grasp on numbers (as in, for example, logistics or the necessary time interval to complete something) Mars an otherwise good story.

Good luck with your writing!

1. What is a time and distance question?

A time and distance question is a type of problem that involves calculating the relationship between the amount of time taken to travel a certain distance at a given speed. It may also involve finding the speed or distance when given the other two variables.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving a time and distance question?

The key concepts involved in solving a time and distance question include speed, distance, and time. These three variables are related by the equation: speed = distance/time. It is also important to know the units of measurement being used, such as miles per hour or kilometers per minute.

3. How do I approach solving a time and distance question?

To solve a time and distance question, it is important to first identify what information is given and what is being asked. Then, use the given information and the formula speed = distance/time to solve for the missing variable. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or create a table to organize the information.

4. Can you give an example of a time and distance question?

Sure! An example of a time and distance question is: A car travels a distance of 200 miles in 4 hours. What is the speed of the car? To solve this, we can use the formula speed = distance/time. Plugging in the values, we get: speed = 200 miles/4 hours = 50 miles per hour. Therefore, the speed of the car is 50 miles per hour.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a time and distance question?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving a time and distance question include using the wrong units of measurement, not properly converting between units, and not understanding the relationship between speed, distance, and time. It is also important to carefully read the question and make sure you are solving for the correct variable.