Exploring the Physics of Time Travel at Light Speed

In summary, when an object moves at the speed of light, time appears to stop for that object. However, for massive objects, this is not possible as they cannot reach the speed of light. When an object is brought very close to the speed of light, its flow of time appears to slow down to almost zero. This may seem to contradict the first statement, but it is due to the differences in frames of reference. From the perspective of an observer, an object moving at the speed of light appears to have its time slowed down, but from the perspective of the object itself, time appears to be moving at its usual rate.
Petenerd
Why would time stop if you travel at the speed of light?

Science news on Phys.org
Petenerd said:
Why would time stop if you travel at the speed of light?

Keep in mind that you always see time moving at the usual rate. It's other things that appear to move slower through time.

By the equations, yes. An object moving at the speed of light through space stands still in time. However, for massive objects, this can't happen, because massive objects can't be brought to the speed of light.

If you bring an object very, very close to the speed of light, it flow of time slows to very, very close to zero.

If you do not interpret Tac-Tics' last sentence correctly it would appear to contradict the first sentence. "If you bring an object very, very close to the speed of light" as measured in your frame of reference "its flow of time"- as observed in your frame of reference- "slows to very, very close to zero".

If I moved past you at "very,very close to the speed of light", relative to you, you would see my clocks going very slowly. I, myself, would not see them moving slowly- in fact, I would see your clocks moving slowly because in my frame of reference I am stationary and you are moving "very, very close to the speed of light" relative to me.

1. How is time travel at light speed possible?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are interconnected. As an object travels closer to the speed of light, the flow of time slows down for that object. This means that if an object were to travel at the speed of light, time would essentially stop for it, allowing it to theoretically travel through time.

2. Can humans actually travel at light speed?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to travel at the speed of light. The fastest man-made object, the Parker Solar Probe, can travel at about 430,000 miles per hour, which is only about 0.00006% of the speed of light. However, some scientists believe that it may be possible to achieve light speed travel in the future with advanced technology.

3. Would traveling at light speed affect aging?

Yes, traveling at light speed would affect aging. As mentioned before, time slows down for objects traveling at high speeds. This means that while a person traveling at light speed may only experience a few minutes, hours, or days, decades or even centuries could have passed for those on Earth.

4. What are the potential consequences of time travel at light speed?

One potential consequence of time travel at light speed is the possibility of creating paradoxes. For example, if someone were to travel back in time and make changes to the past, it could alter the present and potentially create a paradox. Additionally, the effects of time travel on the fabric of space-time are still not fully understood and could have unforeseen consequences.

5. Is there any evidence of time travel at light speed?

There is currently no concrete evidence of time travel at light speed. However, some scientists have conducted experiments with atomic clocks that have shown slight variations in time depending on their speed and position, which supports the theory of time dilation at high speeds. Additionally, some theories in quantum mechanics suggest that particles may be able to travel through time and interact with their past and future selves.