Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time and Tempature question

1. Jun 12, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if anyone could answer a question I had for some time.
    I was thinking about the similarities between time and movement when I have established a some what of a definition to time: the advancement of the overall reactions in a system. I have pondered since then, if my definition is accurate, is there a difference between the "speed" of time between two systems with different temperatures? If anyone has a clew please inform me this question has been on my mind for a long time

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
    What about an electron in an orbital around a proton? This system can be at zero temperature. An ensemble of such systems "looks" very different at non-zero temperature, where there is a different probability of finding an atom in a each energy state.

In other words, the temperature of the ensemble (but not of a single atom) is well defined. However, there is no sense in which the hotter ensemble moves "faster" than the colder one. They are very different.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?