Time, Temp & Movement: Amitai's Question

• Thread starter shameny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and its relationship to movement. The speaker shares their definition of time as the advancement of reactions in a system and raises the question of whether the "speed" of time differs between systems with different temperatures. Another person brings up the example of an electron and proton system at zero temperature and explains that while the temperature of the ensemble is well defined, there is no sense in which a hotter ensemble moves faster than a colder one.
shameny
Hallo
I was wondering if anyone could answer a question I had for some time.
I was thinking about the similarities between time and movement when I have established a some what of a definition to time: the advancement of the overall reactions in a system. I have pondered since then, if my definition is accurate, is there a difference between the "speed" of time between two systems with different temperatures? If anyone has a clew please inform me this question has been on my mind for a long time

Thank you
amitai

Physics news on Phys.org
What about an electron in an orbital around a proton? This system can be at zero temperature. An ensemble of such systems "looks" very different at non-zero temperature, where there is a different probability of finding an atom in a each energy state.

In other words, the temperature of the ensemble (but not of a single atom) is well defined. However, there is no sense in which the hotter ensemble moves "faster" than the colder one. They are very different.

Hello Amitai, thank you for sharing your thoughts and question. It's an interesting concept to think about the relationship between time and movement. Your definition of time as the advancement of overall reactions in a system is a unique perspective. As for your question about the speed of time being affected by different temperatures in different systems, it's a complex topic and there are different theories and explanations. Some argue that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. Others believe that time is constant and cannot be influenced by external factors. It's a fascinating topic to explore and I suggest doing some research and reading on the subject to gain a better understanding. Thank you for sparking this thought-provoking conversation.

What is the concept of time?

The concept of time refers to the measurement of the duration between events, actions, or occurrences. It is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the world and is often measured in units such as seconds, minutes, hours, and years.

How does temperature affect movement?

Temperature affects movement by altering the kinetic energy of molecules. As temperature increases, molecules have more energy and therefore move faster. This can result in changes in the state of matter (solid, liquid, gas) or the speed of biological processes.

What is the relationship between time and movement?

The relationship between time and movement is complex and can vary depending on the context. In general, time can be seen as a measure of the duration of movement, and movement can be seen as a way to measure time, such as using a clock to track the movement of the hands.

How do scientists measure time, temperature, and movement?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to measure time, temperature, and movement. For example, time can be measured with clocks and calendars, temperature can be measured with thermometers, and movement can be measured with tools such as speedometers, accelerometers, and motion capture technology.

Why is understanding time, temperature, and movement important in scientific research?

Understanding time, temperature, and movement is crucial in scientific research because they are all fundamental aspects of the physical world and can impact various processes and phenomena. By studying these concepts, scientists can gain insights into how the natural world works and make important discoveries that can improve our understanding of the universe.