Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Time and temperature

1. Jul 30, 2016 #1
    Hey I m new here. I hope u all will cooperate with me.
    As I have read much about proportionality in science. So can I say that when time increases temperature also inreases or decreases. So time is proportional or inversely proportional to temperature.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Time just flows right along regardless of temperature so expressing that time is dependent on something like temperature is definitely looking at things backward.

You can play with equations so that the MATH looks that way, but that doesn't represent reality. You can't change temperature and automatically have time be forced to change.

Besides all of that, temperature does NOT necessarily change with time in general. Be more specific about what temperature you are talking about.

4. Jul 30, 2016 #3
    Yaa
    Yaa I m truely satisfied with u
    Actually we don't know anything about time. Think about the period when nothing was there. At that period the concept of time was not introduced. Now u don't know any single thing about time. But u can feel when it is hot it is afternoon, cool then it may be day or night. Here u can feel different weather. Now u can conclude that for x period u feel warm or cold. So here in x period the temperature was y. Here don't ever think of current timing. Now u will find that x is propotional to y,s is propotional to z and so on. X and s are some period (time) and y and z are temperature. Hence I can say that time is either proportional or is inversely propotional to temp

5. Jul 30, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I say again, this is only correct as far as a math equation goes. It has no bearing on reality.

6. Jul 30, 2016 #5
    But by using similar methods many theories are formed. I m also fully satisfied with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
  7. Jul 30, 2016 #6
    Take a container of something, lets say just a bottle of water, at a given temperature, say 20C.
    Now place the container in box which has air maintained at 20C and leave it there for a week, or years if you like.
    What temperature do you suppose the water will be when you take it out of the box?

8. Jul 30, 2016 #7
    I hope it will remain same

9. Jul 30, 2016 #8
    Yes, so the passing of time is unrelated to the temperature.
    You could of course start with water at 20C and heat it to be 30C, and this will take a certain amount of time.
    However that time will be dependent on the amount of energy being applied, it will get warm much quicker if warmed by a microwave oven than it will if warmed by a candle.

10. Jul 30, 2016 #9
    yes this is a correct example. But how do u know what the time is. Let us take time = x and temperature = y and it is stable. Now I can write x is proportional to time because time is never stable it will go on increasing. And if time will increase then automatically temp will decrease as compare to time. Thus I can say time is proportional or inversely proportional to temp

11. Jul 30, 2016 #10

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily. @shina please check your inbox.

Edit: the thread is reopened

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted