Calculating Time and Velocity of a Falling Object

In summary, a chipmunk drops an acorn from a branch 6.0 m above the ground and using the given values of acceleration due to gravity (a=9.8m/s^2), initial velocity (vi=0m/s), and distance (d=6.0m), the time in the air is approximately 1.1 seconds and the velocity when it hits the ground is approximately 10.84 m/s. However, if we round the time to 2 figures, the velocity will be 11 m/s.
C42711
A chipmunk drops an acorn from a branch 6.0 m above the ground.
a) How long is it in the air?
b)How fast is it going when it hits the ground?

I decided my given was
a=9.8m/s2
d= 6.0 m
vi= 0 m/s

So I used the distance formula (d=vi+1/2*a*t2) and solved for time. I got about 1.1 s.
For the next part I used vf=vi*t+a*t and solved.

I got
a)1.1 seconds
b) 10.78 m/s

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
C42711 said:
A chipmunk drops an acorn from a branch 6.0 m above the ground.
a) How long is it in the air?
b)How fast is it going when it hits the ground?

I decided my given was
a=9.8m/s2
d= 6.0 m
vi= 0 m/s

So I used the distance formula (d=vi+1/2*a*t2) and solved for time. I got about 1.1 s.
For the next part I used vf=vi*t+a*t and solved.

I got
a)1.1 seconds
b) 10.78 m/s

Is this correct?

Method good, but the fact you rounded off the time before calculating velocity is not desirable. Without rounding the vel calculates to 10.84

Given that orignal data was to 2 figures only, the velocity should be rounded to 2 figures, which will give 11 in both cases. You even get the same result if you stretch to 3 figures - 10.8, but if you quote 4 figures; 10.78 is incorrect.

Thank you so much! Highly appreciated.:)

1. What is the relationship between time and velocity?

The relationship between time and velocity is that velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In other words, velocity is the measure of how fast an object is moving at a specific moment in time.

2. How does time affect an object's velocity?

Time affects an object's velocity in that the longer an object is in motion, the greater the change in its position and therefore its velocity. This is because as time passes, the object covers more distance, resulting in a higher velocity.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it took for that displacement to occur. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, which can be found by calculating the slope of the object's position-time graph at that point.

4. How does acceleration relate to time and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. This means that as time increases, an object's velocity will change at a constant rate, resulting in a change in acceleration. For example, if an object is accelerating at a constant rate, its velocity will increase by the same amount over equal time intervals.

5. Can an object have a constant velocity and changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and changing acceleration. This can occur when an object is moving at a constant speed in a circular path, as its velocity remains constant while its direction changes, resulting in a changing acceleration.