Is Time an Observable in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, Daniel states that time cannot be an observable because operators are dynamic magnitudes, like in mechanics. Mathematically, observables are hermitian operators which eigenvectors can perform a complete base of the state space. There is no way of having time as an observable which has a spectrum and so on.
masudr
In the standard formulation of QM, time is a scalar parameter. I have seen time being treated as the 0th dimension of spacetime in a covariant Dirac equation, but is there any way of having time as an observable (i.e. associated with a Hermitian operator etc) which has a spectrum and so on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely not.When speaking about dynamics in QM,in the II-nd chapter of his brilliant book,J.J.Sakurai asserts that time is just a parameter and no QM observable (no (...) operator) is associated to it.

Daniel.

I don't think so. Because operators are dynamic magnitudes, like in mechanics. So time can't be into this description. Mathematically, observables are hermitian operators which eigenvectors can perform a complete base of the state space... ¿Can time have eigenvectors or eigenvalues?

No, because when you measure time, you don't have a probability to measure different intervals... with an error...

I take Daniel's point; but this is an assertion. The problem of treating space and time on an equal footing still sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

In reply to MiGUi's comments: I'm not measuring time as such. When we measure position, we really measure the position between two things (i.e. our origin and the position of some particle). Why can we not measure, say the time a particle has spent since some other time (which we arbitrarily set as t=0, just as we do with space co-ordinates x=0)?

If a particle can be in a superposition of different position states corresponding to it being in different positions with respect to some origin, why can't a particle be in a superposition of different states corresponding to having spent different amounts of time with respect to some temporal origin?

masudr said:
If a particle can be in a superposition of different position states corresponding to it being in different positions with respect to some origin, why can't a particle be in a superposition of different states corresponding to having spent different amounts of time with respect to some temporal origin?

What states are you referring to...?Through what should we describe those states...And how would you define the dynamics of those states...?

Daniel.

Daniel, these are the exact questions that I am asking. I just wondered if someone else knew of such a thing; clearly they do not. Now I can think at length about this myself, resting assured that my thinking has not been done by someone else before.

Masud.

I could interpret your words as follows: "why can't a particle be in a superposition of different states corresponding to having spent different amounts of time with respect to some temporal origin" means that you're asking why a particle cannot be in an entagled state made up of pure states,nonstationary,ones the time evolved of others...?Is that right...?
The answer in this case is simple to give:it can be...I don't see a reason for that not be possible.I could be wrong though...Maybe someone else will contradict me or confirm my statement...

Daniel.

Thanks,Tom,great explanation,indeed... :smile:

So her name's Jessica,huh...? :wink: That spoils the mystery... :tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What is "QM: Time as an Observable"?

"QM: Time as an Observable" is a concept in quantum mechanics that suggests time can be treated as a measurable quantity, similar to other observables like position and momentum.

2. How does the concept of "QM: Time as an Observable" differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, time is considered an absolute and continuous quantity. However, in quantum mechanics, time is treated as a measurable observable that can have discrete values.

3. What is the significance of treating time as an observable in quantum mechanics?

Treating time as an observable allows for a more complete understanding of quantum systems and their evolution over time. It also allows for the formulation of more accurate and precise predictions and measurements.

4. Is there any experimental evidence to support the concept of "QM: Time as an Observable"?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments that demonstrate the validity of treating time as an observable in quantum mechanics. These include the observation of time-dependent quantum phenomena, such as quantum tunneling and quantum coherence.

5. Are there any practical applications of "QM: Time as an Observable"?

Yes, the concept of time as an observable has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, where precise control and measurement of time is crucial. It also has implications for the development of more accurate clocks and timekeeping devices.