Time-average energy density

In summary, the electric field in a simple two-dimensional potential can be described by the following equation:
schrodingerscat11

Homework Statement

Given the energy density expression from Jackson
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\big(\mathbf{E}\cdot\mathbf{D}+\mathbf{H}\cdot\mathbf{B}\big)[/itex] (Eq. 6.106)

Show the missing steps to arrive at the time-averaged energy density
[itex]\frac{1}{4}\big(\epsilon\mathbf{E}\cdot\mathbf{E}^*+\frac{1}{\mu}\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{B}^*\big)[/itex] (Eq. 7.13)

Homework Equations

See problem above.
[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^Tu(t) dt[/itex] (time-averaged quantity)

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^Tu(t) dt[/itex]
[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T \frac{1}{2}\big(\mathbf{E}\cdot\mathbf{D}+\mathbf{H}\cdot\mathbf{B}\big) dt[/itex]
[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T \frac{1}{2}\big(\mathbf{E}\cdot\epsilon\mathbf{E}+\frac{1}{\mu}\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{B}\big) dt[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{E}=\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}[/itex]
[itex]\mathbf{B}=\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}[/itex]

[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T \frac{1}{2}\big(\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\cdot\epsilon\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}+\frac{1}{\mu}\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\cdot\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\big) dt[/itex]

[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} \frac{1}{2}\big(\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\cdot\epsilon\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}+\frac{1}{\mu}\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\cdot\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\big) dt[/itex]

[itex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}[/itex]

[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} \frac{1}{2}\big(\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\cdot\epsilon\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}+\frac{1}{\mu}\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\cdot\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}-i\omega t}\big) dt[/itex]

[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} \frac{1}{2}\big(e^{-2i\omega t}\big)\big(\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}}\cdot\epsilon\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}}+\frac{1}{\mu}\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}}\cdot\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}}\big) dt[/itex]

Let [itex]A=\big(\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}}\cdot\epsilon\mathcal{E}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}}+\frac{1}{\mu}\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}}\cdot\mathcal{B}e^{ik\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot\mathbf{x}}\big)[/itex]

[itex]\langle u \rangle_t=\frac{\omega}{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}} \frac{1}{2}\big(e^{-2i\omega t}\big)A~dt[/itex]

Question: Is the integral [itex] \int_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}}e^{2i\omega t} dt [/itex] equal to zero?
I get 1 -1 = 0, but then I cannot prove what I'm proving with this number. :(

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsjn said:
Question: Is the integral [itex] \int_0^{\frac{2\pi}{\omega}}e^{2i\omega t} dt [/itex] equal to zero?
I get 1 -1 = 0, but then I cannot prove what I'm proving with this number. :(
Yes it is (apart from a prefactor, it is equivalent to ##\int_0^{2\pi} e^{i t} dt##)

Your expression for E should be real as there are no complex electric fields. If you take the calculate E everywhere, this problem will disappear.

Likes schrodingerscat11
Actually, since it was due today, I kinda followed a solution in Wikipedia for Poynting vector (attached is the screenshot of Wikipedia solution. But I replaced the expression with the one used for energy density. In my new solution, the integral above was indeed zero, but there were new trems created by all the crossmultiplying done.I am not sure though if I did it right. But I did managed to arrive at the final expression. But thanks anyways. :)

1. What is time-average energy density?

Time-average energy density is the average amount of energy per unit volume in a given space, calculated over a specific period of time.

2. How is time-average energy density calculated?

Time-average energy density is calculated by dividing the total energy in a given space by the volume of that space and the amount of time in which the energy is measured.

3. What are some common units of measurement for time-average energy density?

The most commonly used units for time-average energy density are joules per cubic meter (J/m^3), watt-hours per cubic meter (Wh/m^3), and calories per cubic centimeter (cal/cm^3).

4. How is time-average energy density different from instantaneous energy density?

Instantaneous energy density refers to the amount of energy per unit volume at a specific moment in time, while time-average energy density considers the average energy over a period of time. This means that time-average energy density takes into account variations in energy density over time.

5. What are some practical applications of time-average energy density?

Time-average energy density is an important concept in fields such as physics, engineering, and environmental science. It is commonly used in the design of energy storage systems, as well as in the study of energy distribution and conservation in various systems and processes.