Time-average Poynting vector

In summary, the Time-average Poynting vector is a mathematical representation of the average rate at which electromagnetic energy is transmitted through a given area in a specific direction. It is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector at a specific point in space and averaging this value over time. The significance of this vector lies in its role in understanding energy flow in electromagnetic waves and its practical applications in fields such as telecommunications and electronics. It can be negative, indicating energy flow in the opposite direction, but its magnitude will always be positive. Finally, the Time-average Poynting vector is directly proportional to the speed of light, reflecting the fundamental relationship between electromagnetic waves and the speed of light.
Wox
I'm having a problem in expressing the time-average norm of the Poynting vector of the scattered electromagnetic field from a crystal, as expressed in several textbooks.

Concider a monochromatic plane wave
[tex]\begin{split}
\bar{E}_{\text{mono}}(t,\bar{x})&=\bar{E}_{0}e^{i(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t})\\
\bar{B}_{\text{mono}}(t,\bar{x})&=\frac{1}{\omega}\bar{k}\times \bar{E}_{\text{mono}}(t,\bar{x})
\end{split}[/tex]
Then the scattered field of this wave from a crystal is given by (in the kinematic approximation)
[tex]\begin{split}
\bar{E}_{\text{scat}}(t, \bar{x})&=\frac{r_{e}}{\|\bar{x}\|}.\|\bar{E}_{0}\| .K.((\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})\hat{x}-\hat{E}_{0}).e^{i(\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t)}\\
\bar{B}_{\text{scat}}(t,\bar{x})&=\frac{1}{\omega}\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}\times \bar{E}_{\text{scat}}(t,\bar{x})\\
K&=\sum_{j=1}^{N}{f_{j}e^{-i\bar{Q}\cdot(\bar{\Delta x}_{j}+\bar{\delta x}_{j}(t))}}\\
\bar{Q}&=\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}-\bar{k}\\
\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}&=\|\bar{k}\|.\hat{x}(t)
\end{split}[/tex]
where [itex]\bar{\Delta x}_{j}[/itex] the equilibrium positions of the atoms, [itex]\bar{\delta x}_{j}(t)[/itex] their thermal displacement, [itex]r_{e}[/itex] the classical electron radius and [itex]f_{j}[/itex] atomic scattering factors (which are complex numbers).

The Poynting vector and the derived intensity (time-averaged norm of the Poynting vector) are defined as
[tex]\begin{split}
\bar{P}(t,\bar{x})=&\frac{1}{\mu_{0}}\mathcal{R}e( \bar{E})\times \mathcal{R}e( \bar{B})\\
I(\bar{x})=&\left<\|P\|\right>_{t}=\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T} \|P\|dt
\end{split}[/tex]
where [itex]T[/itex] a period of time which is much longer than the period of the atomic vibrations and the period of the monochromatic plane wave. If we write [itex]K=M_{K}e^{i\phi_{K}(t)}[/itex] then this is written as
[tex]
I(\bar{x})=c\epsilon_{0}.\frac{r_{e}^{2}}{\bar{x}^{2}}.\bar{E}_{0}^{2} .M_{K}^{2}.(1-(\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})^{2}).\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T} cos^{2}(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t+\phi_{K}(t))dt
[/tex]
At least, that's how I would do it. But several textbooks write something else:
[tex]
I(\bar{x})= c\epsilon_{0}.\frac{r_{e}^{2}}{\bar{x}^{2}}.\bar{E}_{0}^{2} .\left<K\right>_{t}^{2}.(1-(\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})^{2}).\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T} cos^{2}(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t)dt
[/tex]
which allows use to write the simple expression (time average of the [itex]cos^{2}(\ldots)[/itex] is [itex]1/2[/itex])
[tex]
I(\bar{x})=c\epsilon_{0}.\frac{r_{e}^{2}}{\bar{x}^{2}}.\bar{E}_{0}^{2} .\left<K\right>_{t}^{2}.\frac{(1-(\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})^{2})}{2}
[/tex]
The [itex]\left<K\right>_{t}^{2}[/itex] term leads to the structure factor, the Laue interference function and the Debye-Waller factor. But I have no idea how the time average (an integral) can be done for the factor [itex]K[/itex] and the [itex]cos^{2}(\ldots)[/itex] separately. Can someone give me a hint or maybe a reference on this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting problem. Your approach seems to be correct, but the textbooks may be using a simplification for the sake of clarity. Let me explain:

The time-averaged norm of the Poynting vector is defined as the average of the squared magnitude of the Poynting vector over a period of time. This is equivalent to taking the time average of the cosine squared term in your expression. However, the time average of the factor K would be more complicated to calculate, as it involves both the thermal displacement of the atoms and the complex atomic scattering factors.

To simplify the calculation, the textbooks may be assuming that the thermal displacements and atomic scattering factors are constant over time, or that they vary slowly enough that their average over a period of time is equivalent to their value at a specific time. In this case, the time average of the factor K would simply be the square of the average of the atomic scattering factors, which is what is written in the textbook expression.

If you want to consider the time dependence of the thermal displacements and atomic scattering factors, you would need to take the time average of the cosine squared term and the factor K separately, as you mentioned in your post. This would result in a more complicated expression, which may not have a simple closed form solution.

I hope this helps clarify the discrepancy between the two expressions. If you require a more detailed explanation, I recommend consulting a textbook on scattering theory or electromagnetic theory, which may have a more thorough discussion on the time average of the Poynting vector in the context of scattered electromagnetic fields.

1. What is the Time-average Poynting vector?

The Time-average Poynting vector is a mathematical representation of the average rate at which electromagnetic energy is transmitted through a given area in a specific direction. It is named after John Henry Poynting, who first described it in 1884.

2. How is the Time-average Poynting vector calculated?

The Time-average Poynting vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector at a specific point in space, and then averaging this value over a period of time. This results in a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the significance of the Time-average Poynting vector?

The Time-average Poynting vector is a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism and is used to understand the flow of energy in electromagnetic waves. It also has practical applications in fields such as telecommunications and electronics.

4. Can the Time-average Poynting vector be negative?

Yes, the Time-average Poynting vector can be negative. This indicates that the energy is flowing in the opposite direction of the vector's orientation. However, the magnitude of the vector will always be positive, representing the amount of energy flowing through a given area.

5. How does the Time-average Poynting vector relate to the speed of light?

The Time-average Poynting vector is directly proportional to the speed of light. This means that as the speed of light increases or decreases, the magnitude of the vector will also increase or decrease accordingly. This relationship is a fundamental aspect of how electromagnetic waves propagate through space.