1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-average Poynting vector

1. Jul 4, 2012 #1

Wox

I'm having a problem in expressing the time-average norm of the Poynting vector of the scattered electromagnetic field from a crystal, as expressed in several text books.

Concider a monochromatic plane wave
    [tex]\begin{split}
    \bar{E}_{\text{mono}}(t,\bar{x})&=\bar{E}_{0}e^{i(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t})\\
    \bar{B}_{\text{mono}}(t,\bar{x})&=\frac{1}{\omega}\bar{k}\times \bar{E}_{\text{mono}}(t,\bar{x})
    \end{split}[/tex]
    Then the scattered field of this wave from a crystal is given by (in the kinematic approximation)
    [tex]\begin{split}
    \bar{E}_{\text{scat}}(t, \bar{x})&=\frac{r_{e}}{\|\bar{x}\|}.\|\bar{E}_{0}\| .K.((\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})\hat{x}-\hat{E}_{0}).e^{i(\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}\cdot \bar{x}-\omega t)}\\
    \bar{B}_{\text{scat}}(t,\bar{x})&=\frac{1}{\omega}\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}\times \bar{E}_{\text{scat}}(t,\bar{x})\\
    K&=\sum_{j=1}^{N}{f_{j}e^{-i\bar{Q}\cdot(\bar{\Delta x}_{j}+\bar{\delta x}_{j}(t))}}\\
    \bar{Q}&=\bar{k}_{\text{scat}}-\bar{k}\\
    \bar{k}_{\text{scat}}&=\|\bar{k}\|.\hat{x}(t)
    \end{split}[/tex]
    where [itex]\bar{\Delta x}_{j}[/itex] the equilibrium positions of the atoms, [itex]\bar{\delta x}_{j}(t)[/itex] their thermal displacement, [itex]r_{e}[/itex] the classical electron radius and [itex]f_{j}[/itex] atomic scattering factors (which are complex numbers).

The Poynting vector and the derived intensity (time-averaged norm of the Poynting vector) are defined as
    [tex]\begin{split}
    \bar{P}(t,\bar{x})=&\frac{1}{\mu_{0}}\mathcal{R}e( \bar{E})\times \mathcal{R}e( \bar{B})\\
    I(\bar{x})=&\left<\|P\|\right>_{t}=\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T} \|P\|dt
    \end{split}[/tex]
    where [itex]T[/itex] a period of time which is much longer than the period of the atomic vibrations and the period of the monochromatic plane wave. If we write [itex]K=M_{K}e^{i\phi_{K}(t)}[/itex] then this is written as
    [tex]
    I(\bar{x})=c\epsilon_{0}.\frac{r_{e}^{2}}{\bar{x}^{2}}.\bar{E}_{0}^{2} .M_{K}^{2}.(1-(\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})^{2}).\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T} cos^{2}(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t+\phi_{K}(t))dt
    [/tex]
    At least, that's how I would do it. But several textbooks write something else:
    [tex]
    I(\bar{x})= c\epsilon_{0}.\frac{r_{e}^{2}}{\bar{x}^{2}}.\bar{E}_{0}^{2} .\left<K\right>_{t}^{2}.(1-(\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})^{2}).\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T} cos^{2}(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t)dt
    [/tex]
    which allows use to write the simple expression (time average of the [itex]cos^{2}(\ldots)[/itex] is [itex]1/2[/itex])
    [tex]
    I(\bar{x})=c\epsilon_{0}.\frac{r_{e}^{2}}{\bar{x}^{2}}.\bar{E}_{0}^{2} .\left<K\right>_{t}^{2}.\frac{(1-(\hat{x}\cdot\hat{E}_{0})^{2})}{2}
    [/tex]
    The [itex]\left<K\right>_{t}^{2}[/itex] term leads to the structure factor, the Laue interference function and the Debye-Waller factor. But I have no idea how the time average (an integral) can be done for the factor [itex]K[/itex] and the [itex]cos^{2}(\ldots)[/itex] separately. Can someone give me a hint or maybe a reference on this?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted