Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Barrier?

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1

Tjl

When an object breaks the sound barrier, sounds "lag" behind that object as it travels faster, theoretically the same can be said for light. Would this work the same for time? If you exceeded whatever limit this barrier has would time "lag" behind you?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2
    No, you cannot pass the speed of light. There are a number of ways to show this, possibly the most relevant in this case is the relativistic addition of velocities:[tex]v_{AC}=\frac{v_{AB}+v_{BC}}{1+\frac{v_{AB}v_{BC}}{c^2}}[/tex]. From this, you can see that any time you add two speeds which are less than the speed of light, the result will always be less than the speed of light.
    I'm confused about what you're asking. Are you proposing moving faster through time than time itself? Relativity allows you to change your "speed through time" (which can be quite a confusing phrase) with respect to other observers, but time for you still continues on as normal.

4. Aug 11, 2005 #3
    it would certainly do, but unlike u(tjl) said. it is relative so one observer/listener at the end of a train and next at the head(i dont know what u call the place where the driver;if there is one; sits in the train) of the train can hear the sound of "a" gun shot at different times! may be this is it. if not, i dont know.

regards
    gurkha-war-horse

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  5. Aug 11, 2005 #4

Tjl

It was purely theoretical, and not to dispute, but your statement is incorrect. Nobody knows if tachyons do in fact exist, and until a credible theory can be raised, faster then light travel or communication cannot be disproved.

6. Aug 11, 2005 #5

Tjl

Also, that is only taken into effect if the train was moving at near the speed of light.

7. Aug 11, 2005 #6

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You asked a question about physics, and you got the answer according to physics. According to physics, there are no tachyons.

There are also no unicorns. :smile:

8. Aug 11, 2005 #7
    I did not say tachyons do not move faster than the speed of light if they exist. I said you cannot move faster than the speed of light; you are not composed of tachyons.

9. Aug 11, 2005 #8

Tjl

I slipped the word you in there :( That is my mistake sorry. I meant any object or particle or tachyon.

10. Aug 11, 2005 #9
    NO!
    it is actually at all motions (ofcourse relative) but is much effective at high speed(ie. not only at 0.99c/near the speed of light). But u cant deny that it happens even in lower ones.
    :tongue2: :tongue: :yuck: :cry: :devil: :eek: :tongue2:
    let me remind u what DrChinese said/wrote "there are no unicorns". :rofl:
    gurkha-war-horse

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  11. Aug 12, 2005 #10
    Well then, hypothetically speaking, if you're asking if light "lags" behind a tachyon in a tachyon's own reference frame, the answer is still no. A tachyon will still see a light beam as moving at c. This follows naturally from the second postulate of special relativity, but to reemphasize the point we can solve the relativistic addition of velocities equation (in relativistic units) [tex]v_{AC}=\frac{v_{AB}+v_{BC}}{1+v_{AB}v_{BC}}[/tex] for a tachyon (A) which has velocity [tex]v_{BA}=3[/tex] relative to some standard matter particle (B). From the tachyon's reference frame (if I am allowed to do such things; I haven't read much about tachyons, so corrections may be needed) particle B will have velocity [tex]v_{AB}=-3[/tex], and of course a photon (C) in particle B's reference frame will have [tex]v_{BC}=1[/tex], so in the tachyon's (A's) reference frame, the photon (C) will have velocity [tex]v_{AC}=\frac{-3+1}{1-3}=1[/tex].

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?