Time change and degrees longitude

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how far one must travel in degrees of longitude until their watch must be reset by 1.0 hour. The conversation delves into the concept of time zones and how they are set up based on the Earth's rotation. It is mentioned that there are 25 time zones, not 24, and that most time zones are approximately 1 hour or 15 degrees wide. However, political reasons can cause some time zones to be different. The conversation also mentions that at the North Pole, all time zones converge and it is any time you want it to be. This leads to a discussion about the concept of time and what is considered "real."
missrikku
The problem states:

Travelers reset their watches only when the time change is 1.0 h. How far, on avg, must you travel in degrees of longitude until your watch must be reset by 1.0 h.

I don't really understand what this question is asking for, but I attempted to "solve" this by keeping in mind that the Earth rotates 360 deg in 24 h.

This is what I tried:

x/360 = 1/24
24x = 360
x = 15 degrees

is 15 deg, the correct ans? if not, what exactly is this problem asking for and what associations should i make in order to solve it?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by missrikku
This is what I tried:

x/360 = 1/24
24x = 360
x = 15 degrees

That's a good try, but it is not quite right.

Travelers change time when passing to a new time zone. These zones were set up because of the rotation of the Earth, but they do not exactly correspond to the Earth's rotation. To be more specific, there are 25 (not 24) time zones.

So, if one big time zone corresponds to 3600 then how many degrees do 25 time zones correspond to?

ok, with your suggestion i did the following:

1 timezone / 360 degrees = 25 timezones / x
x = 9000 degrees

is this the distance? that sounds like great distance to reset your watch by 1.0 h!

Oops, my fingers moved faster than my brain!

There are 25 time zones in 360 degrees, and there is 1 time zone in x degrees.

Sorry!

That's not quite right. Most time zones are approximately 1 hour = 15 degrees wide. But for political reasons their boundaries do not exactly follow lines of longitude (in the US, for example, they tend to follow state boundaries). The extra time zone in the Pacific is identified by a 1/2 hour change. 15 degrees is right on the average, but to be absolutely correct you have to consult a map or globe with the zones marked.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
The extra time zone in the Pacific is identified by a 1/2 hour change.

Now that I didn't know.

Ah, now that makes sense. I was wondering why in the world there would be 25 time zones instead of 24 and about to speak harshly to Tom.

However, having two "1/2 hour time zones" would make sense- and correspond to 24 "regular" one hour time zones. The original 15 degrees per hour change was correct.

If it is noon in New York, What time is it at the North Pole?

Several hours later, when it is noon in LA, now what time is it at the North Pole?

How many times a day is it noon at the North Pole?

How many days a year are there at the North Pole?

This was a joke, right? Sometimes I have trouble telling.

Sometimes physics is phun(?)

The phun arises sometimes when standards don’t make sense - as in this case. All time zones converge at the north pole, so at the north pole it is any time you want it to be.

From the political viewpoint, one time zone is as valid as the next, although one may be more convenient than another for any particular group. It makes just as much sense to say that “noon” occurs at the same time at the north pole as in NY as it does to say it occurs at the same time as in LA. It would also “make sense” from this viewpoint to say that there are about 365.25 days per year at the north pole.

From a geophysical point of view none of the above makes sense. Noon occurs when the sun is at its highest point in the sky. At the poles, there is only one noon each year, there is only one dawn and one sunset each year. There is only one day per year at the poles.

What’s my point(s)? Mainly: we can get complacent about standards until we realize their limits ( or: measuring things can give us a false sense of security that can stand in the way of understanding); what is time?; what is “real?”.

Is it s joke? Not “really.” Is it phun? I hope so.

1. What is the purpose of time change and degrees longitude?

The purpose of time change and degrees longitude is to establish a standardized system for measuring and recording time and location around the world. This allows for accurate and consistent communication and coordination between different regions and time zones.

2. How do time change and degrees longitude affect time zones?

Time change and degrees longitude determine the boundaries of time zones. Each time zone is approximately 15 degrees of longitude wide, with the International Date Line being an exception. Time zones are based on the Earth's rotation and the movement of the sun, which is affected by degrees of longitude.

3. Why do some countries have half-hour or quarter-hour time zones?

Some countries have half-hour or quarter-hour time zones because their geographic location falls between two time zones. For example, Nepal is located between two time zones and has a time difference of 45 minutes from its neighboring countries.

4. How does daylight saving time affect time change and degrees longitude?

Daylight saving time is a seasonal adjustment made to the clock to maximize daylight hours during the summer months. This affects time change and degrees longitude by shifting the time zone boundaries and altering the amount of daylight each region experiences.

5. How are time change and degrees longitude used in navigation?

Time change and degrees longitude are essential for navigation as they help determine a ship or aircraft's position on the Earth's surface. By knowing the time and the degrees of longitude, a navigator can calculate their location using a method called celestial navigation.