Time Constant for RC Circuit

In summary, the time constant of the circuit in the attached figure, which consists of 5 resistors in series with resistance R and 5 capacitors in parallel with capacitance C, is 25RC. The conversion to an equivalent capacitor with a total capacitance of 5C was correctly performed.
newyorkcity

Homework Statement

What is the time constant of the circuit shown in the figure? Each resistor has resistance R, and each capacitor has capacitance C. Internal resistance of the battery is negligible.

See the attached figure.

Homework Equations

tau=RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that the R term has a coefficient of 5, due to the 5 resistors in series each with resistance R. I am confused about the capacitors. Since they are parallel, I assume that I can convert to the equivalent capacitor:

Ctotal=C1+C2+C3+C4+C5

resulting capacitance is 5C. So with terms of 5R and 5C, I get:

tau=25RC

am I on the right track?

Attachments

• rc_circuit.png
    rc_circuit.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
Not only are you on the right track, you've reached your destination!

That's correct :smile:

thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Your approach is on the right track. However, there are a few things to note:

1. The time constant (tau) for an RC circuit is defined as the product of the resistance and capacitance, not the sum. So the equation should be tau = RC, not tau = 5RC.

2. In this circuit, the capacitors are in parallel, so their equivalent capacitance is not simply the sum of their individual capacitances. Instead, you can use the formula for calculating the equivalent capacitance of capacitors in parallel, which is Ctotal = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn.

3. The internal resistance of the battery is negligible, so it can be ignored in the calculation of the time constant.

Taking these factors into account, the correct equation for the time constant of this circuit would be:

tau = (R * Ctotal) = (5R * 5C) = 25RC

So your final answer is correct, but you just need to make a few adjustments to your approach.

1. What is the time constant for an RC circuit?

The time constant for an RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor in the circuit to charge up to 63.2% of its maximum charge when a DC voltage is applied.

2. How is the time constant calculated for an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads, or by using the formula τ = RC.

3. What is the significance of the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant is an important parameter in an RC circuit as it determines the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges. It also affects the frequency response and time response of the circuit.

4. How does the time constant affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The time constant determines the speed at which the capacitor charges and discharges. A smaller time constant means the capacitor charges and discharges faster, while a larger time constant results in a slower charging and discharging process.

5. Can the time constant of an RC circuit be changed?

Yes, the time constant can be changed by altering the values of the resistance or capacitance in the circuit. Increasing the resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant, while decreasing either parameter will result in a shorter time constant.