What is the best way to balance time dedication on studies?

In summary, the individual had a habit of not studying until later in their academic career, which caused difficulties when they got to university. However, they have now realized the importance of studying and have been dedicating around 60 hours per week to their studies. They struggle with feelings of being overwhelmed and wonder if others have experienced the same. They also ask for suggestions on balancing good grades with time management and whether focusing on quantum-related classes is a good idea. Some responses suggest aiming for balance and not neglecting other subjects, while others suggest focusing on specific classes and taking breaks to prevent burnout. It is important to find a balance between studying and taking breaks to maintain mental and physical well-being.
Grieverheart
Hi there,

I study undergrad physics in greece and as most greek students,first 2 years,I would just read my lessons in the examing periods a bit (7/20 lessons passed).Truth is,I've rarely studied in my life up to now,math and physics were always my favorite lessons and I didn't have to make any effort to get 10s.Well,that was really a problem when I got in the university and saw,that things are quite different than up to that point and my introverted character just made things worse(like having to join a team on lab with people you don't know and can't cooperate etc.).Well,that continued for my first two years in my studies (undergrad in greece is 4 years),until lately that is. I realized (kinda late,i know) that I have to stop playing around and focus.

Well,sorry for the boring backround there...so I'll get to the point. Since the moment I've "realized", I'm working the hardest I have ever worked.But you know,time is not always your friend.I even made a tight schedule I follow every day to minimize wasted time.At the moment,about 60 hours per week are dedicated on my studies,I rarely go out and it feels very strange to me.At the beggining it was hard to devote myself at such a task,but now I even get guilty thoughts,if I miss 30mins from my schedule,because I overslept.It still feels though as if it's not enough (although it may be). I have to say,it's really strange,I feel I'm happy and sad at the same time.

Any others who feel like this?Any suggestions?Plz feel free to to express your opinions/thoughts.

Also another question:Since time is not really by my side,I have to make a best possible "good grades vs time to graduate" ratio.Since I'd like to do a master in something quantum related (most probably nanoscience) should I aim to get good grades at lessons related to quantum physics(eg.quantum mech,complex analysis etc.)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aiming for good grades in your quantum classes is not a bad idea, as long as you keep the over all grades balanced. If you shoot for A's in Linear Algebra, Complex Analysis, maybe Abstract Algebra (I don't know how in depth your degree goes) then the physics should come a bit easier. But don't let your other classes slip
Try and keep B's or B+'s in all your major classes if you want to focus more on certain specific class.

As for your overwhelmed feeling, you get used to it after awhile. I was in the same boat. Never had to study in grade school or high school
College started out that way which got me off to a bad start as far as study habits go. Intro Physics classes were cake walk, Math was simple (Calc 3 and Linear Algebra). But come Sophomore year I bogged down like never before. Real Analysis has been the thorn in my side all semester.
Its normal to feel like you spend all your time with your studies. The important thing is to make sure you stay well rounded, you don't want to fail one class just to manage B's or A's in the rest. And also, you need to take some breaks, get out and about, have some fun on the weekends, it will keep you sane.

All day work and no play makes John a dull boy. You need to play also and give some around 5-6 hours for studies. Dont cram the things, try to understand it. Work smart and not hard.

60 hours of studying (I think) is fairly normal. I probably do about that or more. It still leave a lot of time for other things.
Also, I noted others say you must stay well rounded. I'm inclined to disagree. Certainly to some degree it is important however I have noticed, for myself, that the more well rounded I've been the lower marks have been. Just my own observation that I've been paying close attention to over the last 4 years.

Just make sure you can tell the difference between high-quality study and studying past the point of diminishing returns.

I personally wouldn't have the stamina for 60 hours of high-quality study per week, and so when I feel a bit tired I do something else to prevent burning out.

What is the recommended amount of time to dedicate to studying?

The recommended amount of time to dedicate to studying varies depending on the individual and their specific academic goals. However, a general guideline is to dedicate at least 2-3 hours per day for studying.

Is it better to study for long periods of time or in short bursts?

It is more effective to study in short, focused bursts rather than studying for long periods of time. Research has shown that the brain is more likely to retain information when it is studied in shorter, concentrated sessions.

How can I effectively manage my time while studying?

To effectively manage time while studying, it is important to create a schedule and stick to it. Prioritize tasks and break larger tasks into smaller, manageable chunks. Additionally, eliminating distractions can help improve time management.

Is it possible to over-study?

Yes, it is possible to over-study. Just like our bodies need rest, our brains also need breaks to recharge and retain information. It is important to balance studying with other activities and take breaks when needed.

How can I stay motivated to dedicate time to studying?

To stay motivated, it can be helpful to set specific, achievable goals and reward yourself when you reach them. Additionally, finding a study group or accountability partner can provide support and motivation to stay dedicated to studying.