Time dependant perturbation theory

In summary, Dick Thrust was trying to integrate the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, but he didn't understand one of the steps. He found help from another user, who explained to him that he needed to add the time derivative of c to the product rule.
DickThrust
Hi, I am basically trying to put a wavefunction into the Time Dependant Schrodinger Eqn, as shown in my lecture notes, but i don't understand one of the steps taken...

[tex]|\right \Psi (t)\rangle=\sum c_n (t) |\right u_n\rangle e^-(\frac{E_n t}{\hbar})[/tex]
into
[tex]i\hbar \frac{\delta}{\delta t}|\right \Psi\rangle = H |\right \Psi \rangle[/tex]

gives the LHS of the TDSE as:

[tex]i \hbar \sum \left[ c^. _n (t) - \frac{i E_n}{\hbar}c_n \right] |\right \psi \rangle = ... [/tex]
however, I don't understand the steps taken to get:

[tex]\left[ c^. _n (t) - \frac{i E_n}{\hbar}c_n \right][/tex]

i.e. how the time dependant/independant coefficients are separated.

if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DickThrust, welcome to PF,

This is just the product rule for differentiation. The two functions of time being multiplied together (under the summation sign) are cn(t) and |un〉exp(-(iEnt)/ℏ). Thus, applying the product rule:

[tex] i\hbar \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \sum_n c_n(t) u_n e^{-i\frac{E_n t}{\hbar}} = i\hbar \sum_n \frac{\partial}{\partial t} (c_n(t) u_n e^{-i\frac{E_n t}{\hbar}}) [/tex]

[tex] = i\hbar \sum_n \left[c_n(t) \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(u_n e^{-i\frac{E_n t}{\hbar}}) + u_n e^{-i\frac{E_n t}{\hbar}} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(c_n(t)) \right] [/tex]

[tex] = i\hbar \sum_n \left[c_n(t) \left(\frac{-iE_n}{\hbar}u_n e^{-i\frac{E_n t}{\hbar}}\right) + u_n e^{-i\frac{E_n t}{\hbar}} \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(c_n(t)) \right] [/tex]

[tex] = i\hbar \sum_n \left[-c_n \left(\frac{iE_n}{\hbar}\right) + \frac{\partial c_n}{\partial t} \right]u_n e^{-i\frac{E_n t}{\hbar}} [/tex]​

If you add back in the bra-ket notation, (| 〉 which I excluded to remove clutter), and use the the "dot" notation for the time derivative of c, and my expression becomes exactly like yours.

typical of me, always forgetting the product rule...

thanks for your help!

1. What is time dependant perturbation theory?

Time dependant perturbation theory is a method used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a quantum system that is subjected to a time-varying external perturbation. It allows us to calculate the changes in the system's energy and wave function over time due to the perturbation.

2. When is time dependant perturbation theory used?

Time dependant perturbation theory is used when the perturbation is not small enough to be ignored, but still small enough to be treated as a perturbation. It is commonly used in the study of atoms and molecules, where the external perturbation can be caused by an electromagnetic field or an external force.

3. How does time dependant perturbation theory differ from time independent perturbation theory?

Time dependant perturbation theory takes into account the time-dependence of the perturbation, whereas time independent perturbation theory assumes a constant perturbation. This allows time dependant perturbation theory to describe the dynamic evolution of a quantum system, while time independent perturbation theory can only provide information about the system at a particular point in time.

4. What is the main equation used in time dependant perturbation theory?

The main equation used in time dependant perturbation theory is the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. In the presence of a perturbation, this equation is modified to include the perturbation Hamiltonian, allowing us to calculate the changes in the system's wave function over time.

5. What are some applications of time dependant perturbation theory?

Time dependant perturbation theory has various applications in the field of quantum mechanics, including the calculation of transition probabilities in spectroscopy, the study of atomic and molecular dynamics, and the description of quantum transport phenomena. It is also used in the development of quantum computing algorithms and the understanding of quantum systems in general.