1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-dependent Force problem

1. Feb 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A time-dependent force, Fvecbold.gif = (9.60 ihatbold.gif − 4.10t jhatbold.gif ), where Fvecbold.gif is in newtons and t is in seconds, is exerted on a 2.00-kg object initially at rest. (a) At what time will the object be moving with a speed of 15.0 m/s?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for a then integrated that and got 4.8t-1.025t^2

Set it equal 15 squared both sides to eliminate the square root when solving for the magnitude and finally got 23.04t^2-1.05t^4 -225=0 and can't solve it. So I must have made some mistake.

[ URLs fixed by a mentor ]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Loststudent22, you didn't have the correct URLs for the i and j characters at your webassign site. I fixed them.

Next time you can try latex. ##{\hat{i}}\ {\hat{j}}##

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  4. Feb 21, 2015 #3
    They were the I and J hat vector components. I will have to look into latex I"m not familiar with it yet. I'll trying using a picture next time for the question and my work.

5. Feb 21, 2015 #4

gneill

Have you tried a substitution for t? You should be able to turn the equation into a quadratic...

6. Feb 21, 2015 #5
    I plugged the equation into wolfram to solve for t and it didn't give a answer

7. Feb 21, 2015 #6

gneill

You have:

23.04t^2-1.05t^4 -225=0

Let : x = t^2

Write the equation in terms of x. Can you solve that?

8. Feb 21, 2015 #7
    Yeah it doesn't work it gives an answer with imaginary numbers. I pulled out my 89 and it just says false when I try to use the solve function. Is it possible the online assignment gave me numbers that don't work nicely or I must have made some mistake.

9. Feb 21, 2015 #8

gneill

So you should revisit how you derived your equation. Lay out the steps so we can take a look.

10. Feb 21, 2015 #9
    F=ma
    a=4.8-2.05t=dv/dt
    To arrive at an equation for the instantaneous velocity of object I integrate the above equation

V=4.8t +c1-1.025t^2+c2

The object is at rest when t = 0 s. so c1=c2=0

When V=15 m/s

The magnitude of V=15=√(4.8t)^2+(1.025t^2)^2

I square both sides to eliminate the square root and got the equation I'm having trouble with

11. Feb 21, 2015 #10

gneill

Really? Because I spot a sign difference right away.

12. Feb 21, 2015 #11
    Haha woops I see now + instead of -

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted